Textile Technology Career Guide: Course, Fee, Scope and Salary
Textile Technology is the most innovative branch of engineering. The field of Textile technology deals with the quality and maintenance of the fabric of the clothes.
These days everyone is so much engrossed into fashion and clothing, but a few of them know what really goes into making your clothes. Nowadays we have a collection of dresses of all kinds of fabric. Many different types of new fabrics have also developed. The different types of clothing fabrics are:-
- Cotton blend
Do you know how these varieties of fabrics develop over time, and how are these manufactured?
This is where the role of textile experts or textile engineers comes into being.
The way the fashion world is growing, it would not be wrong to predict the enormous demand of textile engineers in the market.
So if you want to pursue a course which is job oriented and will give you a good reward in the future then go for a course in Textile technology.
We have come up with a list of detailed information on the various course for a career in textile technology, eligibility required, top colleges, course fee and expected salary given in India.
Highlights: Career in textile technology
|Eligibility||Class 10 for Diploma course Class 12th for undergraduation courses|
|Course fee||Rs. 20,000 – Rs. 2,00,000|
|Salary||Rs. 3,00,000 – Rs. 5,00,000|
|Job types||Medical textile engineer, process improvement engineer, quality control supervisor, production engineer, management trainee,|
|Top recruiting companies||Bombay DyeingBombay Rayon Fashions LtdArvind LtdFabindia Overseas Pvt LtdGrasim Industries LtdMysore SilkJCT LimitedLakshmi MillsReliance TextilesGrasim Industries|
Textile Technology Courses
There are many colleges and universities that offer specialized courses in Textile technology. These courses aim at training individuals about fabric technology, energy conservation, natural and man-made materials, the interaction of materials with the machine, waste control, safety and health.
The course for a career in textile technology includes polytechnic diploma courses, undergraduate courses, postgraduate course and doctoral degree courses.
The subcategory programs under these courses are as follows:
1. Polytechnic diploma course:
The duration of the course is 3 years. One can pursue the course after passing class 10th. It includes a Diploma in two categories.
· Diploma in Textile Technology / Textile Engineering
· Diploma in Fabrication Technology & Erection Engineering
2. Undergraduate Course
This is a B.Tech degree programme. The duration of the course is 4 years. One can take up the B.Tech course only after qualifying class 12th.
· Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech) in Textile Engineering
3. Post-graduate Course
This course is a Masters course in Textile technology. It can only be done after getting a B.Tech degree. The duration of the course is 2 years.
· Master of Technology (M.Tech) in Textile Technology
· Master of Technology (M.Tech) in Textile Engineering
· Master of Technology (M.Tech) in Textile Chemistry
4. Doctoral degree courses
This course is for someone who wants to pursue research in the Textile technology field. One can enrol in a P.Hd programme only after completing B.Tech and M.Tech courses.
What are the eligibility criteria for a career in Textile Technology?
Although the eligibility criteria may differ with college and university but the standard qualifications required to enrol in a Textile Technology course are as follows:
- An aspirant of Textile technology must have qualified class 12th from a recognized university or board.
- The minimum marks required in class 12th passing certificate must be above 55%.
- For a Diploma course in Textile technology, one must have a passing certificate of class 10th form a recognized university or board. The admission is done on the merit basis and the marks of class 10th.
- Though this criterion is not applicable for all colleges, some Engineering colleges conduct entrance tests for a B.Tech course in textile Engineering. One must qualify the cut off percentage in the entrance exam of the respective colleges. Only those candidates are called for counselling session who have crossed the cut off marks.
What are the skills required for a Career in Textile Technology
There are a few prerequisite skills for pursuing a career in the Textile technology field. One must prepare himself accordingly.
The skills are:
- One needs to be very creative in this sector.
- Technical knowledge is essential.
- An aspirant should have good communication skills.
- You should be prepared to work for long hours.
- You should have a keen interest in fashion and Textile.
- One must have excellent patience level.
- One should be able to understand different fabrics and techniques.
- It is important to have an open mind in this field.
- Your visual imagination should be rich and innovative.
- You must have persuasive ability and resilience.
Admission process: Textile Technology
The admission processes for various courses under this category are different.
For a diploma course, the merit list is prepared based on the marks of class 10th of the candidates applied. There is no entrance exam for Diploma courses. This may vary with colleges.
For a B.Tech course in Textile Technology, all the engineering universities and colleges conduct the entrance examination. One needs score higher than the cut offset by each university or college.
For a Masters course, there is a provision of both entrance exam and marks obtained in the B.Tech by the candidates.
- The forms are available online at the respective official website of the college or university.
- One needs to fill all the details correctly and submit the form online.
- You have to pay the application fee online. The online payments can be made through Net Banking or UPI methods.
- After successful online payment, you will receive a receipt on the computer screen confirming successful application form submission.
- Print out the receipt with admission number for future use.
- In the case of colleges taking entrance exams. You will be given a date of exam and admit card.
- One needs to print out the admit card to sit in the entrance exam.
- The cut off is released after one month from the exam date. Only those candidates who cross the amount off are called for counselling.
- One needs to always check the official college website for admit card download, cut off marks and counselling dates.
Textile Technology course fee
The course fee lies between Rs. 20,000 to Rs. 2,00,000 for the entire course. Although the charges may vary with colleges and universities.
Textile Technology Syllabus
The syllabus is set according to the topics related to textile manufacturing, technology, fabric materials and mechanical workings.
The topics taught in the courses are:
- Characteristics of textile fibres
- The technology of per weaving process
- Solid mechanics
- The technology of Yarn spinning
- Method of control in spinning
- Fabric formation
- Chemical processing of Textile
- Information technology in Textile
- Computer applications in Textile
- Textile testing and instruments
- Design and structure of Fabrics
- Processing of Fabric
- Research project
Top colleges offering courses in Textile Technology
The colleges in India that offer various courses in Textile Technology are:
- IIT: Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi
- Institute of Information Technology and Management, New Delhi
- LD College of Engineering, Gujarat
- College of Textile Technology, West Bengal
- SSM Institute of Textile Technology and Polytechnic College, Tamil Nadu
- University of Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Bannariamman Institute of Technology, Tamil Nadu
- Institute of textile technology, Orissa
- Zail Singh College of Engineering and Technology, Punjab
- Bengal Engineering and Science University, West Bengal
- Calcutta University College of Textile Technology, West Bengal
- Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel Institute of Textile Management, Tamil Nadu
- Jaya Engineering College, Tamil Nadu
- Amity University, Uttar Pradesh
- The Art Institutes
- Department of Textile, IIT, Delhi
- Technological Institute of Textiles, Haryana
- Anna University, Tamil Nadu
- DKTE Society’s Textile Engineering Institute, Maharashtra
- Calcutta University, West Bengal
- Kumaraguru College of Technology, Tamil Nadu
- Government Central Textile Institute, Uttar Pradesh
- MLV Textile Institute, Rajasthan
- M. S University, Gujarat
Job profile: Textile Technology
The job of a textile engineer is not easy. He has to understand the whole process of fabric formation and manufacturing. He also needs to supervise the manufacturing process and machines involved in garment formation.
The market for a job in the textile sector is booming these days. As more and more garment companies have evolved, the demand for textile professionals has also increased. They are being hired in various capacities.
After completion of a course in Textile Technology, one can get hired as:
|Medical Textile Engineer||The responsibility includes developing fabrics for clothing, household items, medical supplies and furnishings. They also involves provide technical advice to marketing, purchasing, design and production staff.||Rs 3.10 LPA|
|Production Engineer||They handle the production of a product in an indoor factory setting. They also ensure that production demands are met cost-effectively and efficiently.||Rs 4-4.5 LPA|
|Operation/Management Trainee||A management trainee works under the supervision of the seniors and handles merchandising, QA, Production Planning, Production support and Industrial engineering.||Rs 1.98-2 LPA|
|Quality Control Supervisor||They are responsible to supervise the sample evaluation and production approval by reviewing the measurement, fitting, workmanship, quality, accessories, and such factors.||Rs 1.7-2 LPA|
|Process Improvement Engineer||The main job is to see the process of improvement which includes root-cause analysis, create detailed reports about the improvement issues and execute improvement processes.||Rs 4.38 LPA|
Top recruiting companies of Textile technology Engineers
The companies that hire a textile professional on a large basis with good packages are:
- Indian Textile Company Pvt Ltd
- Soma Textiles & Industries Limited
- Century Textile and Industries Ltd
- Bombay Dyeing
- Bombay Rayon Fashions Ltd
- Arvind Ltd
- Fabindia Overseas Pvt Ltd
- Grasim Industries Ltd
- Mysore Silk
- JCT Limited
- Lakshmi Mills
- Reliance Textiles
- Grasim Industries
- Arvind Mills Ltd
- Lakshmi Machine Works
- Bhilwara Group
- Rajasthan Petro Synthetics
- RIL Textiles
- Mafatlal Denim
- Raymond Group
What is the salary packages offered to Textile Engineers in India?
The top companies hire textile professionals through either college campus placement or directly. The initial salary packages that a Textile engineer receives is Rs. 3,50,000. But this can go high with time and experience.
Pros of a career in textile technology
- One gets personal satisfaction when he/she sees his/her creation or innovation being manufactured and launched in the market.
- You also get the opportunity to work with computer software designer and fashion designers. Thus you gain a lot of experience in other sectors too.
- One who wants to open their business can start a textile company. Therefore the course enables you to be self-dependent. You get the opportunity to give employment to others.
- You can acquire a lot of skills through training and working with several professionals. In future, you can transfer your skills to alternative career options.
- If you have the skill and talent, then you can land with a very high package with international companies. It is a demanding sector.
Cons of a career in textile technology
- As this is a skill-based sector, you need to be very creative to do good in the field.
- It is also a very competitive sector, that is why we see some people struggling too.
- The initial days will be struggling, but once your innovations start to impress the company, you will surely go high.
- Working in manufacturing units may involve risks like being exposed to harmful chemicals.
- Your work schedule is too hectic. It may be that sometimes you cannot balance work and personal life.
If you have passion and talent for creativity and new innovations, then this is the perfect career path for you.
Apply now and take a step forward in your life with a career in Textile Technology.