Career in Beauty Culture: Course, Fee, Salary and Scope
“Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder.”
Everyone wants to look attractive and beautiful. The aspect of beauty is no longer associated with birth. Nowadays, anyone can look gorgeous with a little touch-up.
A make-up artist can do real wonders. With a flick of the brush, they can turn you into a beautiful and gorgeous lady.
In today’s world, fashion and beauty is the top priority of everyone’s lifestyle. That is why a career in beauty culture is a great opportunity.
If you are someone creative and have a deep interest in beauty products, then you must pursue a career in beauty culture.
You can also work as an assistant for some time and then can open your own salon. People who manage to open their parlors earn quite good.
Highlights: Beauty Culture Career Guide
|Eligibility||Class 12th pass or class 10th pass for Diploma courses|
|Course fee||Rs.10,000 – Rs. 2,00,000|
|Salary||Rs. 15,000 – Rs. 1,00,000|
|Job scope||CosmetologistHairstylistNail Care ArtistsSalon Sales ConsultantManufacturer Sales RepresentativeMakeup ArtistFashion Show StylistBeauty Magazine WriterCosmetology InstructorBeauty Care Distributor|
|Top recruiting companies||B BluntGeetanjaliMonsoonJaved Habib Hair and Beauty SalonToni and GuyAffinityLooksLakmeL’orealShahnaz Hussain|
What is the course for career in Beauty Culture?
As a career in beauty culture, one can be a make-up artist, hairstylist, spa specialist, massage therapist, nail artist, and hair color expert. But the most popular choice is a make-up artist.
There are a number of courses for a career in beauty culture.
You can be an expert in cosmetology with these courses.
The duration of Diploma courses is 6 months to 1 year.
The courses are: –
- Diploma in fashion media
- Diploma in cosmetology
- Diploma in Hairdressing
- Diploma in Make-up
The duration of certificate courses is 3 – 6 months.
The courses in this category are:
- Certificate in herbal beauty and therapy
- Certificate in massage therapy
- Certificate in beauty culture
The duration of the Master’s Course is of 1 year.
There is one course under this category.
- PG Diploma in cosmetology
After completing any of these courses, you are eligible for a degree in beauty culture. This degree will help you to get hired by popular saloon chains and parlors.
What are the admission eligibility criteria for Beauty Culture Courses?
Although the eligibility criteria may differ with institutes and colleges but the standard eligibility criteria are as follows:
- The minimum requirement is a class 12th passing certificate from a recognized board or university.
- For Diploma courses, one can even pursue it after qualifying class 10th.
What are the skills required for a career in Beauty Culture?
There is a set of prerequisite skills for taking up a career in beauty culture.
So before you plan to apply for a course in beauty culture, you must look at these essential skills:
- One should be friendly with customers.
- He/she should have patience while working.
- You need to listen to your customers sympathetically.
- One needs to understand what the customers want.
- One should always be well-groomed.
- You should have good communication skills and always be polite and friendly with clients.
- One must have a good understanding of different skin types and beauty products.
- One should have an open mind and be creative at work.
How to get admission in Beauty culture courses?
One can get admission in beautician courses through entrance exam conducted by institutes. Also, some institutes give admission on merit basis considering the marks of the qualifying exam.
- Make a list of the Government or Private University or Colleges offering courses in beauty culture.
- The application forms are available online at the respective official website of the Colleges.
- You can fill and submit the documents online or offline in some cases.
- One should be very cautious while filling all the details in the admission form.
- You will be asked to pay specific registration fees or admission fees.
- The online payment can be made using Net Banking or UPI methods.
- You must print out the receipt after successful form submission for future reference.
What is the beauty culture course fee?
The training fee depends on the institute you choose. If you go for small parlors and institute, then the cost range would be 10k to 20k.
But if you pursue a course from international training institutes or settled beauty chains and parlors, then cost can go as high as 2 to 3 lakhs.
Top Institutes for Beauty culture course:
The top institutes that offer beauty culture courses in India are:
- LCC Academy of Beauty Health & Management
- Institute of Fine Arts Varanasi
- Shahnaz Husain International Beauty Academy
- School of Music Mumbai
- National and Regional Vocational Training Institutes for Women
- Habib’s Hair Academy
- Govt College of Fine Arts, Thrissur
- Pearl Academy of Fashion (PAF), Jaipur
- Tansen Sangeet Mahavidyalaya Delhi
- International Women Polytechnic, Delhi
- Bengal music courses Kolkata
Job profile of a beautician:
The job profile of a beautician is not comfortable. A beautician needs to have a good understanding of skin biology and anatomy. They use their training and knowledge to fulfill the needs and demands of the clients. Also, they must find solutions to skin problems of the customers.
Beauty is an art, and only an artist can sustain it.
The routine tasks of a beautician are:
- They provide massage and spa therapy.
- They also offer nail art and nail care services to customers.
- They find solutions to beauty and skin related problems.
- They do manicures and pedicures.
- They advise people on skincare and make-up products.
- They offer services like waxing, threading, hair cutting, etc.
various kinds of service
Different beauty specialist provides various kinds of service-
Make-up artist: A make-up artist only specializes in the make-up. They only handle make-up techniques like blending, highlighting, contouring, airbrush make-up, and many more. They are solely responsible for face make-up.
Hair specialist: They only deal with hair styling and cutting. They provide services like hair cutting, hair coloring, blow-drying, and styling. They also advise customers on hair related problems like hair dandruff, excessive hair fall and hair thinning.
Nail artist: A nail artist takes care of your nails. They clean and design your nails. One can also get specialized nail art on their nails. It is in fashion these days.
Massage and spa therapist: They only do massage and spa related services for customers. They use different ayurvedic oils and creams to massage your body. One can get face massage, full body massage, back massage, and head massage. A face massage helps to tighten the facial muscles; thus, it tones the skin and prevents wrinkles. Body massage helps to overcome any kind of body pain and stiffness. It relaxes your body.
Hair spa is also a kind of massage where a special hair spa cream is used to massage the scalp and hair roots. It calms down your body and revives your healthy hair. It protects hair from any damage due to pollution. It retains the quality of your hair and adds shine to it.
- Salon sales consultant: They are responsible for selling beauty and skincare products to the saloon’s customers.
- Sales manufacturing consultant: They sell specific brands’ beauty and skincare products to wholesale customers and saloons.
One can get hired as:
- Nail Care Artists
- Salon Sales Consultant
- Manufacturer Sales Representative
- Makeup Artist
- Fashion Show Stylist
- Beauty Magazine Writer
- Cosmetology Instructor
- Beauty Care Distributor
A beautician gets to choose a job in several employment sectors. It is a demanding job. The industries that hire Beauticians and beauty experts are:
- TV and film industry
- Fitness clinics
- In hotels and health resorts
- Modeling agencies
- Departmental stores
- Beauty blogging
Salary of a Beautician in India
The salary of the beautician depends on skill and creativity. The job also demands experience. A person with experience and knowledge can earn as high as Rs. 1,00,000 per month.
It is a very demanding job, and the salary also varies a lot.
In India, a beautician in a good saloon earns around Rs. 20,000 to Rs. 50,000.
Top institutes recruiting students of beauty culture course in India
- B Blunt
- ·Javed Habib Hair and Beauty Salon
- Toni and Guy
- Shahnaz Hussain
Syllabus of beauty culture course
The topics covered in the course are related to beauty and skincare. Some of the topics are:
- Professional ethics
- Skin anatomy
- Skin physiology
- Skin disorders
- Different massage manipulation
- Nail structure
- Nail art and extension techniques
- Nail disorder
- Manicure and pedicure techniques
- Hair coloring techniques
- Hairstyling basics
- Skin analysis
- Advance massage techniques
- Advance Facial techniques
- Basic facial
- Decontamination and infection control
- Cosmetic science
- Client consultation
Pros of a career in Beauty Culture
- It is a flexible job. Salons don’t require beauticians all the time. There are also services where you can get appointments booked at home.
- One gets to meet people from all walks of life. You also get social with a lot of clients and develop good friendships with them. You can observe that some people become long term clients. This can only happen if your work is good and are polite. Communication skill is very crucial.
- Cosmetic products and beauty experts are always in high demand. Once you get established, you will still receive lots of bookings and work demands.
- It is a very creative job. You never get bored doing things for people. Also, every client will be different. Even each client’s demand and need will also be different. So in a way, you will never have the same type of work.
- You can open your own business as a parlor. Thus you can become self-employed. The career enables you to be self-dependent.
- You also get work satisfaction when you see someone being happy with your service and feel beautiful.
Cons of a career in beauty culture
- As it is a demanding profession so your work schedule may get very hectic and stressed.
- The career requires high-quality skills, so you may see few people struggling in this field too.
- You need to establish yourself in the beauty sector. It may be the case that initially, you will not receive bookings and customers. But with time, skill, and good communication, you will start to get famous.
- Sometimes, you may encounter clients with unrealistic demands that you cannot fulfill. Thus you need to handle different types of people.
- You need to be very careful with clients. Some people have sensitive skin, and they may have some allergic problems. If something goes wrong, you are the one who will be blamed. So one needs to take care of this too.
- There is stiff competition in the market for a beautician.
If you are someone who is in love with beauty products and already has a basic knowledge about make-up then you must choose this career. The market for beauty experts is high and well paying too.
Make the world and people living in it beautiful.
You may Like these Related Guides:
Want to make a career in Film and Television Industry?
Want to become a Fashion Designer?
Want to make a career in Modeling?
Want to become a Choreographer?
Want to become a Radio Jockey?