Civil Engineering Career Guide: Courses, Admission, Syllabus, Fee, Scope and Salary
Civil engineering in India is considered one of the evergreen branches of Engineering. In this world of technology, Civil engineering still stands in its top positions.
Civil engineers are hired not only in private sectors but also in Government departments. The best thing is that you can quickly get a government job as a civil engineer through competitions. Civil engineers get a handsome salary with several allowances and pension after retirement.
Civil engineering is associated with the design and construction of natural or physical structures like bridges, dams, buildings, highways, flyovers, subways, etc.
Civil engineering is the art of creating structures for our comfort and development. Civil engineers help develop countries with creativity.
Do you know Civil engineering was known as Military engineering in the previous days.
It is no doubt that civil engineering is the way towards the right development of mankind.
If you are from a science background, then you must choose Civil engineering as a bright career option professionally.
What is Civil Engineering?
Civil engineering is involved in designing, supervising, maintenance, and construction of physical structures. They contribute towards developing our country by constructing highways, roads, houses, apartments, dams, bridges, and tunnels. Their work is vital as they help to connect remote places with roads, bridges, and highways.
The reason why you could go on a vacation to Leh Ladakh and enjoy the beauty of snow-covered nature is because of the hard work of civil engineers. They construct and maintain tunnels, roads, and highways, even in remote and adverse places. The villages are connected to urban areas because of the roads developed by civil engineers. They also help construct and maintain dams, which help to generate electricity, thus lighting our lives. There are many other excellent contributions of civil engineers towards making our world a better place.
What are the Courses for a career in Civil Engineering?
One can apply to a course in Civil engineering after completing class 10th. However, some programs require a class 12th passing certificate. The courses include Diploma programs, bachelor’s, and Postgraduate programs. All have different eligibility and duration of the study.
Diploma Course in Civil Engineering
The duration of the course is 2 years. One can also take a Polytechnic course in Civil engineering. It is a very popular course among students after class 10th. There is an entrance exam for admission to the Polytechnic course.
- Diploma in Civil Engineering
- Polytechnic course in Civil Engineering
- Advance Diploma in Civil Engineering
- Post Graduate Diploma in Civil Engineering
Bachelors Course in Civil Engineering
The duration of the Bachelors course is 4 years. It is similar to other undergraduate engineering programs. Civil engineering is a branch of engineering in the B.Tech program. One can apply for B.Tech in civil engineering after class 12th. There are a national level, state level, and university level engineering entrance test for admission to India’s best colleges.
- B.tech in Civil engineering
- Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech) in Ceramics & Cement Technology
- Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech) in Civil Infrastructure Engineering
- Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech) in Civil & Transportation Engineering
Masters Course in Civil Engineering
A master’s degree in Civil engineering can give you an edge over others who have only a B.Tech degree. Only those students who have a B.tech degree in civil engineering can pursue a Masters degree in the field. The duration of the course is 2 years. Admission is based on the scores of GATE.
- Master of Technology (M.Tech) in Civil Structural Design
- Master of Technology (M.Tech) in Building Technology & Construction Management
Eligibility Criteria for Admission
The eligibility criteria for a course in Civil engineering depends on the program you choose. The colleges follow the same basic eligibility for admission to Diploma, Bachelors’s, and Masters courses. But it is always recommended to check course prospectus of the respective college for detailed information on the curriculum.
The common eligibility criteria for Civil engineering course are as follows:
- You need a class 10th passing certificate from a recognized board or university in case of admission to Diploma courses.
- For admission to Bachelors’s courses, a passing certificate from a recognized board or university of class 12th with a minimum of 55% is required.
- Postgraduate courses take admission based on GATE scores of the candidates.
- Science should be one of the main subjects in class 10th.
- For those having class 12th passing certificate maths, physics and chemistry should be the main subjects.
- There is an entrance exam for admission to Diploma and Bachelors courses.
- English should also be a compulsory subject in class 10th and 12th.
Skills required for a career in Civil Engineering
- You must have technical knowledge of maths, physics, and Biology.
- Aspirants must have strong mathematics skills.
- One should have excellent written communication skills as the job also requires to make reports on the projects.
- Individuals should have good communication skills as the job profile also includes a filed job. It will also require meeting with several clients. So communication plays an important role.
- You must have excellent leadership skills as you will be the project head, and all the workforce will take orders from you.
- Many projects will be managed under your leadership, so you also need proper management and organizational skills.
- One should have problem solving abilities.
- You should be able to make decisions as the project’s responsibility lies in the hands of the civil engineer.
The admission procedure is for Civil engineering courses is similar to other programs. But still, some students have queries and face difficulties while submitting an online admission form. That is why we have explained step by step process of form submission. Also, read the below points not to miss any critical points, which may lead to unsuccessful online form submission.
- Explore and make a list of top engineering colleges in India.
- Colleges release course prospectus every year.
- You must Read and check all the details regarding the course like fee, exam pattern, and syllabus.
- The date of release of the online admission form link is also mentioned in the prospectus or in the notice column of the official website.
- Always submit an online form through the official website of the college or university.
- For admission to Bachelors’s courses, there are a number of famous national level exams like JEE mains, JEE Advanced, BITSAT, and ComedK.
- To fill forms of these national level exams, you need to go to the respective exam website and fill the online form.
- Some private colleges conduct their entrance test like VIT Vellore, Manipal University, SRM University, and Kalinga Institute of Technology.
- Click the link to the online admission form.
- Fill all the details correctly according to your certificates.
- Scan and upload documents if required any.
- Upload your passport size photograph.
- Upload your signature in the column given.
- In the case of the entrance examination, fill the exam center accordingly.
- Please bear in mind that the exam center once registered cannot be changed later on.
- You also need to pay a small amount of registration fee.
- The payment can be made online through Net banking or other online methods.
- Once the payment is successful, you will get a confirmation on your registered mobile and mail regarding the successful form submission.
- Download and print the form and payment receipt for future reference.
- You will be informed about the exam and admit card dates through the college website.
- The cut-off and merit list are also released within 1 – 2 months of the college website entrance test.
- You are requested to keep in touch with the official college website for any further notification related to admission.
Top Colleges for a career in Civil Engineering
The top colleges in India to pursue a course in Civil engineering are as follows:
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Bombay
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Kharagpur
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Delhi
- National Institute of Technology (NIT), Trichy
- National Institute of Technology (NIT), Surathkal
- SRM University
- Manipal Institute of Technology
- Vellore Institute of Technology
- Kalinga Institute of Technology
- National Institute of Technology Durgapur
- National Institute of Technology Jamshedpur
- Birla Institute of Technology Mesra
- Birla Institute of Technology Pilani
- Delhi Institute of Technology
Civil Engineering Syllabus
The overview of topics of study over a period of 8 semesters is:
- Mathematics I
- Mathematics II
- English for Communication
- Programming and Data Structure
- Basic Electronics I
- Basic Electronics II
- Engineering Drawing and Graphics
- Engineering Graphics
- Electrical Technology I
- Electrical Technology II
- Introduction to Manufacturing Processes
- Design of RC Structures
- Design of Steel Structures
- Soil Mechanics & Foundation Engineering
Civil Engineering Course Fee
The fee for the Civil Engineering course is around Rs. 5,00,000 to Rs. 10,00,000. The fee depends on the college you choose. Government colleges charge less than private colleges. The fee also includes hostel, mess, semester exam, and practical lab charges.
Please refer to the respective college prospectus for full charges of the college.
A graduate of Civil engineering can get jobs in both public/ private and Government sectors. They are paid well.
The responsibilities of a civil engineer are:
- Analyze long term plans, survey results, maps, and other data for project planning and design.
- Consider construction costs, government legislation, possible environmental hazards, and other considerations during a project’s planning and risk analysis phases.
- Compile and submit applications for permits to local, state, and federal agencies and check that projects comply with specific regulations.
- Track and evaluate soil test results to assess the appropriateness and strength of the foundations.
- Analyze the effects of research on building materials, such as concrete, wood, asphalt, or steel, for particular projects.
- Prepare cost estimates for the products, facilities, or labor to assess the economic viability.
- Using construction tools to construct and schedule transport systems, hydraulic systems, and structures that adhere to industry and government requirements.
- Carry out or supervise surveys to establish building locations, site plans, reference points, grades, and elevations to guide construction.
- Manage to restore, maintaining, and upgrading public and private infrastructures.
Individuals can be hired as:
- Structural engineers
- Geotechnical engineers
- Site engineer
- Construction engineer
- Professor or lecturers in Engineering colleges
Top Recruiting Companies for Civil Engineers
These are the top firms that hire civil engineers in India.
- Emmar Properties
- Marafiz Contracting
- European Contracting
- Ralls Contracting
- Black Cat Eng
- Sedrat Al Khaleej
- Silver Falkon
- MedGulfPunj Lloyds Ltd
- White Young
- Shapoorji and Pallonji
- Al Jadeed
- Double Crown
- Specialized Contracting
- Unicon Development Constructions
- PAC Constructions
An entry-level civil engineer with less than 5 years of experience can expect to earn an estimated total INR 300,000 compensation per annum. Yet the wage structure is much more appealing in international countries such as the USA, UK, approximately $50,000 to $65,000 a year.
A government civil engineer earns around Rs.60,000 as his initial salary in India. You are also eligible for other benefits like dearness allowance, house rent, transportation allowance, and pension.
Civil engineering employment is expected to increase by 6 percent over the next ten years, nearly as fast as the rate for all workers. Civil engineers will be required to handle projects to restore, repair, and improve bridges, highways, levees, dams, airports, schools, and other facilities as current US infrastructure experiences increasing obsolescence.
A career in Civil engineering is one of the best options for students who wish to pursue Engineering after class 12th.
One thought on “Civil Engineering Career Guide: Courses, Admission, Syllabus, Fee, Scope and Salary”
Very nice post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I’ve really enjoyed browsing your blog posts. In any case I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again soon!