Animation and Multimedia Career Guide: Courses, Institutions, salary, and Scope
Are you good in drawing and illustrations?
If yes then have you ever wondered where you could take this talent of yours in the future?
It is the animation industry that can be the path of your bright future. It is a trend in artist to pursue their career as an animation artist.
What is Animation?
Animation is nothing but a graphic presentation of drawings in a way that it looks like we see a film. You all must have enjoyed some kind of cartoons in your childhood. The making of cartoons is just what Animation looks like.
It could be a composite video of graphic art, sounds, and visual text. Godzilla on the New York Streets, aliens attacking the US, Avengers fighting, Spiderman jumping from tall buildings and kids’ favorite cartoon characters are all examples of Animation technology.
Animation is not only confined to movies, but it has also become an integral part of advertisements, TV media, and games. Pubg is a fine example of both Animation and multimedia.
- Multimedia is a version of the animation technique that includes Animation, sound, graphic art, text, and video.
- Animation is the technique of making drawings, layouts, and photography.
If you have rich imagination and creativity, then do apply for a course in Animation and Multimedia.
We bring you detailed information on the Animation and Multimedia career guide.
Career in Animation and Multimedia – Highlights
|Eligibility||Class 10th for Diploma and certificate courses Class 12th for bachelor’s courses|
|Course fee||Rs. 20,000 – Rs. 2,00,000|
|Salary||Rs. 3,00,000 – Rs. 10,00,000|
|Job types||2 D Animator,3 D Animator, Key Frame Animator, Image Editor, Modeller, Character Animator, Texture Artist, Layout Artist|
|Companies recruiting||Animation Studios, Media Agencies, Film Production Houses, Post Production Houses, Advertising agencies, Commerce sites, E-Magazines, Game Developers|
Animation and Multimedia Courses
As an animator, one uses the technique of 3-D drawing on the computer. There is various software that helps to create animation sequences. To be able to master in the animation techniques, one has to take a course in Animation and multimedia.
There are Diploma, Bachelors and certificate courses in Animation and multimedia.
Diploma courses in Animation and Multimedia
The duration of the course is 1 year. But some colleges also offer 6 months course in Animation. You can take admission in Diploma courses after class 10th or class 12th.
The programmes under Diploma courses are as follows:
- Diploma in 2D Animation
- Diploma in 3D Animation
- Diploma in Digital Animation
- Diploma in CG Animation
- Diploma in Animation and Filmmaking
- Diploma in VFX
- Diploma in Animation and VFX
- Diploma in Animation, Video Editing and Post Production work
Bachelor’s courses in Animation and Multimedia
The duration of the course is 3 years. It is an undergraduate course in Animation and Multimedia. One can take admission in a bachelor’s degree course only after class 12th.
The programmes in the degree courses are:
- BA in Animation & Multimedia
- B.Sc. in Animation & Multimedia
- Bachelor of Visual Arts (Animation)
- Bachelor of Fine Arts in Animation, Graphics and Web Design
- BA in Animation and CG Arts
- BA in Animation and Graphic Design
- BA in Digital Filmmaking and Animation
- B.Sc. in Animation and VFX
- B.Sc. in Animation and Gaming
Certificate courses in Animation and Multimedia
The certificate course in Animation and Multimedia is not a detailed course like a Diploma or Bachelor’s course. The duration of the course is 3 to 6 months. If one is serious about getting a job as an animation artist, it is recommended that you choose either a Diploma or Bachelor’s course.
The programmes under the certificate course are:
- Certificate in VFX
- Certificate in 2D Animation
- Certificate in 3D Animation
- Certificate in Editing, Mixing and Post Production Works
- Certificate in CG Arts
Advanced PG course in Animation and Multimedia
You can take up an advanced PG course in the specialized categories of Animation. The areas of specialization include:
- Visual Effects
- 3D Animation
- Game Design (Computer and Mobile)
- Graphic Design
- Specific Software
What are the admission eligibility criteria required for a career in Animation and Multimedia?
Though the eligibility depends on the university and college you are applying, but the common standard criteria for admission to Diploma, Bachelor’s and certificate courses in Animation and Multimedia are:
- One should have qualified class 12th from a recognized university or board.
- The eligibility is different for different courses.
- For a Diploma course, one can apply after passing class 10th form a recognized board or university. All the students from any stream are allowed to apply to the colleges. The minimum mark is above 50% in class 10th. However, some colleges can change the minimum marks criteria. You need to check with your college.
- For a Bachelor’s course, a student can only apply after passing class 12th form a recognized board or university. The minimum marks should be 55% in the passing certificate of class 12th. However, the cut off percentage may increase with colleges.
- The certificate course can be taken by anyone who has passed class 10th form a recognized board or university. There is no provision for minimum marks criteria. But one must always check with their respective college.
What are the skills required for a career in Animation and Multimedia?
The job of an animation artist is a job of passion and creativity. Besides a degree in Animation one must have specific skills for better career prospects in the Animation industry.
The prerequisite skills are:
- One must have good observational skills so that he can take inspiration from his surroundings and express it through drawings. These drawings or illustrations are then converted to 3-D Animation in computers through software.
- He/she should have a creative and open mind. Only if an aspirant has an open mind, he can get a flow of unique and extraordinary ideas.
- He is expected to have good communication skills.
- He should be good at drawing and sketching skills.
- One should be able to get into the essence of the character he is creating so that he can do his work efficiently.
- The secret behind the best animation artist is the detailing of graphic art. You must have an eye for detailing as it adds realism to your Animation.
- He should always have patience as animation works require great concentration ability and patience to complete. It is not something you do hastily.
- One should have basic knowledge of computer software and applications. Because the work requires excellent computer techniques.
Admission process in Animation and Multimedia
The admission procedure is easy and simple, just like other courses admission process.
- Every college and university releases prospectus and admission forms online on their official website.
- Download the prospectus and read it carefully as it describes the courses, syllabus and course fee.
- Admission form is to be filled online.
- Submit the details correctly.
- After the submission of all the documents, you have to pay the admission fee.
- The admission fee is made online through Net banking or UPI online payment methods.
- Only when you pay the admission fee, your form submission is successful.
- You will receive a confirmation on email id and registered mobile.
- You must print out the receipt with admission number for future reference.
- There is no entrance exam in colleges and university for courses in Animation and Multimedia.
- For Bachelor’s degree courses colleges release the merit list based on class 12th marks.
- There may be more than one merit list. The lists are uploaded on the official college website.
- You must keep checking the website in the given time period for the merit list.
- After you get your name in the merit list, you need to go to the college with the receipt that you printed during admission form submission. The further procedure is taken care of at the college or institute.
Animation and Multimedia Course fee
The course fee for a course in Animation and Multimedia is between Rs. 20,000 to Rs. 2,00,000 in India. However, the fee largely depends on the college or institute you choose. You must always check the college prospectus for charges details.
Animation and Multimedia Syllabus
The syllabus is explicitly designed to train students in graphic art and animation techniques used in computers.
Some of the course that is covered during the course period are:
- Foundation art
- Basics of Animation
- Introduction to programming language
- Computer-based 2-D Animation
- Introduction to 3-D Animation and modelling
- Multimedia and computer graphics
- Technical English
- 3-D Animation
- Production process
- Composing and editing
- Layout and perspective
- Colour theory
- Sketching and landscaping
- Digital editing and motion graphics
- Gaming technology
- Visual effects
Colleges offering courses in Animation and Multimedia
There are many institutes and colleges that offer courses in Animation, but the top colleges in India are:
|Amity University||Mumbai, Maharashtra|
|Maharshi Dayanand University||Rohtak, Haryana|
Animation and Multimedia – Job profile
Animation has become a trendy career choice among students in India. The popularity of Animation is due to the craze for animated movies, games, and cartoons. That is why this sector has rapidly grown.
A career in the animation or multimedia industry could be high paying as it demands skilled and talented professionals. Your creativity and imagination are valued in this sector.
After getting a degree in Animation and multimedia, one gets hired as:
- 2 D Animator
- 3 D Animator
- Key Frame Animator
- Image Editor
- Character Animator
- Texture Artist
- Layout Artist
- Lighting Artist
- Storyboard Artist
- Background Artist
- Clean-Up Artist
- Rigging Artist
- Rendering Artist
- Digital Ink and Paint Artist
The tasks of an animation artist are as follows:
- He uses computer programs and illustrations to create graphics, animations, games and motion pictures.
- One has to work with a team of animation artists to make a movie, game, or visual effect.
- He has to do detailed research on the upcoming projects to create designs and graphics.
- He/she develops storyboards or scripts to show the scenes of the animation movie.
- One is responsible for editing graphics, art, text and effects. He also has to submit those to the director or other team animators to get feedback and reviews for changes.
- He has to continually be in touch with clients, animators, artists, games designers and directors to review development in the project.
Top companies that recruit Animation and Multimedia graduates
The sectors that recruit Animation and multimedia professionals are:
- Animation Studios
- Media Agencies
- Film Production Houses
- Post Production Houses
- Advertising Agencies
- E-Commerce sites
- Computer and Mobile Game Developers
Career in Animation and Multimedia – salary in India
The animation artists earn around Rs. 3,00,000
to Rs. 5,00,000 per annum at the start of their career. But as they gain experience in the industry, he could earn between Rs.10,00,000 to Rs. 12,00,000 per annum in India.
If you want to take your drawing and sketching talent as a career in the future, then this is the best option for you.
Get enrolled in Animation and Multimedia course today!