Mechanical engineering is one of the most popular branches of Engineering in India. The demand for other engineering areas may change according to market trends. But mechanical engineering is one such branch that never bears the effect of the market scenario.
Mechanical engineers deal with the functioning of machines, robots, appliances, engines, aircraft, etc.
Many students, while choosing a branch of engineering, get confused as there are several branches. Often students are skeptical about the career prospects of the mechanical engineering field.
Get all your doubts cleared about mechanical engineering in this article.
We have got you a complete career guide on Mechanical engineering related to courses, eligibility, admission process, syllabus, and top colleges in India. Moreover, job prospects, salary offered, and top recruiting companies are also mentioned for the students to get an idea of the filed they are about to choose.
What is Mechanical Engineering?
Mechanical engineering specializes in the working and functioning of appliances, machines, aircraft, weapons, watercraft, microdevices, and robots. They are responsible for the maintenance and manufacturing of the parts of the machine. They also supervise assembling of different machine parts so that they function in a synchronized way.
Mechanical engineers apply mechanics and material science principles to analyze, maintain, manufacture, and assemble mechanical parts. They also design machines and carry out operations using several mechanical tools.
It plays a significant role in the development of technologies as they design and manufacture cars to refrigerators. Without mechanical engineers’ work, we won’t have machines like cars, elevators, planes, Air conditioners, refrigerators, ships, and many such machines that make our life comfortable.
They play a very crucial role in the overall development of the country.
What are the courses for a career in Mechanical Engineering?
There are a number of Mechanical engineering courses like Diploma, bachelor’s, masters, and Ph.D. programs. The duration and eligibility criteria of these courses are different. Let’s explore what these courses are and who can apply for admission.
Diploma course in Mechanical Engineering
The duration of the course is 2 – 3 years. Those who have passed class 10th from a recognized board or university are eligible for admission to this course. Science should be one of the main subjects of study in class 10th. There is no entrance exam for Diploma in Mechanical Engineering. The merit lists in top colleges are based on the marks scored in class 10th. The polytechnic course is for three years.
- Diploma in Mechanical Engineering
- Polytechnic course in Mechanical engineering
- Advanced Diploma in Mechanical engineering
- Integrated Diploma in Mechanical Engineering
Bachelors course in Mechanical engineering
This is an undergraduate program in Engineering. It is for a duration of 4 years. The B.Tech degree in Mechanical engineering gives one the benefit of getting placed with the top companies with high salary packages. One has to pass the national level or university level entrance test for admission to the B.Tech program. It is also compulsory for students to have a class 12th passing certificate from a recognized board or university.
- B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering
Post-graduation course in Mechanical Engineering
The duration of the Masters course is 2 years. Aspirants can get admission to M.Tech in Mechanical Engineering through GATE scores. Only those who have a B.Tech degree in Mechanical engineering can apply for the Masters program.
- Post Graduation in Mechanical Engineering
Ph.D. in Mechanical engineering
This is a research-oriented field in Mechanical Engineering. Those who wish to pursue research in the specialized fields of mechanical engineering can go for a Ph.D. program. Also, this course is popular among those who want to become professors in the engineering sector.
After completing a Ph.D. degree in Mechanical engineering, you can have immense scope in India and abroad.
Eligibility Criteria for Admission in Mechanical engineering
The eligibility criteria for Mechanical engineering program depends on the course you choose. All the colleges in India follow the same common eligibility for admission to Diploma, Bachelors’, and Masters courses.
Note: It is advised to carefully read the concerned college prospectus for detailed information on the course like fee, exam pattern, and syllabus.
The common eligibility criteria for Mechanical engineering course are as follows:
- For admission to Diploma and Polytechnic course, you require a class 10th passing certificate from a recognized board or university. The minimum marks must be above 60% in class 10th.
- To apply for admission to B.Tech in Mechanical engineering, one must have qualified class 12th from a recognized board or university. The minimum marks required is 60%.
- Postgraduate courses in Mechanical engineering take admission based on GATE scores of the candidates.
- Science should be one of the main subjects in class 10th and class 12th in the case of Diploma and B.Tech courses, respectively.
- Students must have Maths, Physics, and chemistry as one of the main subjects in class 12th.
- There is an entrance exam for admission to B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering. Some colleges consider National level exams while some take college level entrance test for final admission.
- English should also be a compulsory subject in class 10th and 12th.
Skills Required for a Career in Mechanical Engineering
- To better grasp various aspects of mechanical fields, you need to have practical experience in general application, methods, techniques, instruments.
- Mechanical engineering is one of the essential aspects of architecture. An additional benefit for any student studying mechanical engineering would be the experience of design methods, techniques, and the development of technical blueprints.
- A mechanical engineer would be of utmost importance because he has the experience of machines, their specifications, repairs, utilities, and maintenance.
- Knowledge of how manufacturing is done, how quality is regulated and managed, how cost management by the implementation of appropriate techniques for particular occasions can help a student become a successful engineer along the way.
- One must have good command over physics and mathematics.
- An excellent communication skill is required.
- You should have a good analytical ability to analyze and design the mechanical parts.
- It is a tedious job. The job profile involves working with machines and tools. So one must be prepared to work hard for a better future in the field.
What is the admission process for Mechanical engineering courses?
The admission process for Mechanical engineering courses is similar to other Engineering programs. But some students get confused while applying online to the course. Often their application forms are rejected because of incomplete details. To save students from such situations, we have explained step-by-step procedures on how to apply online to the Engineering colleges.
Follow the points below to apply for a Mechanical engineering course successfully.
- Explore and make a list of top engineering colleges in India.
- Every year colleges and universities release prospectus.
- Students are always recommended to read the prospectus thoroughly before applying for admission.
- The date of online admission form release will be mentioned in the prospectus and the Latest notice section of the college website.
- You must always submit an online admission form through the official website of the college or university. In any case, refrain from using a third-party website link to apply as it may be a fraud.
- For admission to Bachelors’s courses, there are some important national level exams like JEE mains, JEE Advanced, BITSAT, and ComedK.
- To appear in these national-level exams, one must first fill the exam registration form on their respective official website.
- Some private colleges like VIT Vellore, Manipal University, SRM University, and Kalinga Institute of Technology conduct their college level admission test.
- Click the link to the online admission form from the official website of the college or exam (in case of national level exams).
- Fill all the details correctly according to your certificates.
- Scan and upload documents if required any.
- Upload your passport size photograph and signature in the column given.
- In the case of the entrance examination, fill the exam center accordingly.
- Please keep in mind that the exam center once registered cannot be changed later on.
- You also need to pay a small amount of registration fee.
- The payment can be made online through Net banking or other online methods.
- Once the payment is successful, you will get a confirmation on your registered mobile and mail regarding the successful form submission.
- Download and print the form and payment receipt for future reference.
- You will be informed about the exam and admit card dates through the college website.
- The cut-off and merit list are also released within 1 – 2 months of the college website entrance test.
- You are requested to keep in touch with the official college website for any further notification related to admission.
Syllabus of Mechanical Engineering
The syllabus is designed to give theory knowledge and practical experience to the students over 8 semesters (in case of B.Tech) and $ semesters (in case of Diploma/Polytechnic).
The subjects of the study are as follows:
- Modern Biology
- Electrical Sciences
- Introduction to Computing
- Engineering Mechanics
- Chemistry Laboratory
- Physics Laboratory
- Computing Laboratory
- Engineering Drawing
- Basic Electronics Laboratory
- Physical Training – I
- Fluid Mechanics
- Manufacturing Technology
- Solid Mechanics
- Engineering Materials
- Kinematics of Machinery
- Machine Drawing
- Applied Thermodynamics – I
- Machine Design
- Dynamics of Machinery
- Mechanical Measurements
- Design of Machine Elements
- Heat and Mass Transfer
- Electrical Machines
- Control Systems
- Mechanical Lab
- Industrial Engineering and Operation Research
Mechanical Engineering Course Fee
The fee for the Mechanical engineering course is approximately Rs. 1,00,000 to Rs. 10,00,000. This does not include hostel, mess, semester exam, and practical charges. Private colleges charge more than the Government colleges.
Government colleges are best in terms of ranking and course fees for Mechanical engineering.
Top colleges that offer a course in Mechanical engineering
The top government and private colleges in India for a degree in Mechanical engineering are:
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Bombay
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Kharagpur
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Delhi
- National Institute of Technology (NIT), Trichy
- National Institute of Technology (NIT), Surathkal
- SRM University
- Manipal Institute of Technology
- Vellore Institute of Technology
- Kalinga Institute of Technology
- National Institute of Technology Durgapur
- National Institute of Technology Jamshedpur
- Birla Institute of Technology Mesra
- Birla Institute of Technology Pilani
- Delhi Institute of Technology
The job of a mechanical engineer is not easy. The job profile requires long hours of continuous work with machines and pieces of equipment. It is a kind of fieldwork. One must be ready to work continuously for long hours. At the end of the day, it is the hard work that pays off.
After completing a degree in Mechanical engineering, you can be hired as:
- Acoustics engineer
- Automotive engineer
- Building systems engineer
- Chief mechanical engineer
- Cryogenics engineer
- Design engineer – mechanical
- Heating specialist engineer
- Lubrication engineer
- Mechanical engineer
- Mould design engineer
- Nuclear engineer
- Power plant engineer
- Robotics engineer
- Thermal power engineer
- Tool engineer
Top Recruiting Companies
The mechanical engineers are hired both in private/ public and Government sectors.
The top recruiting public sector companies hiring Mechanical engineers are:
- COAL INDIA
- Aban group
The private sector companies hiring mechanical engineers are:
- Tata motors
What is the salary packages of Mechanical Engineers in India?
In India, a student who has a Mechanical Engineering degree gets the initial salary package around 5 lakh per year up to 15 lakh per annum.
There were 0.2 million mechanical engineers in the USA in the year 2012. In foreign countries, the average salary of mechanical engineers is approximately $80,580 per annum.
Never stop dreaming as the sky is the limit.
Apply today for a B.Tech in Mechanical engineering.