Mining Engineering: Have you ever thought about how minerals are extracted from the earth and processed?
You may have studied in primary school about different techniques for mineral extraction and purification. But those were just the surface level things. There is a lot that goes into the procedures of extraction and purification.
These techniques are mastered by the experts called as Mining engineers.
Minerals like coal, petroleum, metals, non-metals are all extracted from the beds of the surface of the earth. Mining engineering is the study of processes that is to be followed during the extraction and after it.
This post will help you to build a career in Mining engineering. We have compiled all details like course, top colleges, and admission process to be followed by the students.
What is Mining Engineering?
This is, in simple terms, an engineering branch that deals with mineral extraction from the earth. This field of engineering applies scientific and technical methods for extracting minerals from the earth.
Mining engineering deals with the construction of safe and effective mines for coal and metals disposal. Mining engineering optimizes mines for the most effective way possible of extracting resources. The experiments that are under it, work out how to maximize as much of the resource as possible. For a specific mineral or metal, such as iron or coal, mining engineering offers specialization. Many mining engineers work with geologists to locate and test new deposits of gold.
Others build or upgrade mining equipment, or handle mineral separation and refining processing operations. Mining safety engineers enforce best practices, carry out mine and machinery checks, track air quality, and ensure that all safety laws are complied with to keep employees safe.
What are the courses for a career in Mining Engineering?
Mining Engineering is one of the branches of Engineering. The basic criteria for the course are that the students should have a strong command over science subjects. The students can apply for admission to the engineering colleges right after class 10th and class 12th in case of a Bachelors’s program. The various courses for Mining Engineering are:
The duration of the course is 3 years. One can apply for admission to the best colleges after passing class 10th. The students in the current year of their class 10th session can also apply given that you pass in all the subjects when results are declared. There is no provision of the entrance examination. Although students with a good percentage in class 10th have more chances of getting their names on the merit list.
- Diploma in Mining Engineering
It is an undergraduate program of 4 years. Mining engineering is one of the branches of the B.Tech program. Those who wish to have a prospering career in mining engineering are recommended to go for a B.Tech degree in the same. To get into the best colleges you will need to pass a national level entrance exam like JEE mains, JEE advanced, etc.
- B.Tech in Mining Engineering
- BE in Mining Engineering
Mining Engineering or Master’s in Mining Engineering is a postgraduate course in Mining Engineering. The course is divided into four semesters over a 2-year duration. The course is a career-oriented course in nature that opens up a lot of opportunities for the candidates. GATE scores are considered for admission to the top engineering colleges for an M.Tech program in Mining Engineering.
- M.Tech in Mining Engineering
- PG Diploma in Mining Engineering
- PG Diploma in Mineral Engineering
The duration of the course is 2 years. Those who hold an M.Tech degree can apply to the Ph.D. program. It is a research-oriented course which lets the students to deeply analyze and carry out research in the specific field of Mining.
- Ph.D. in Mining Engineering
Admission Eligibility Criteria
As Mining engineering is a branch under the B.Tech program the same eligibility criteria are followed. Although there is an entrance test for bachelor’s courses those who fail to fulfill the minimum requirement are denied admission even if he scores well in the entrance tests. Almost all the engineering colleges follow the same basic minimum criteria for admission but it is advised to go through the respective college prospectus before applying. The common eligibility criteria for Mining Engineering course are:
- One must have a class 10th passing certificate from a recognized board or university.
- In the case of the B.Tech program, class 12th examination is considered as the qualifying exam, and eligibility is set accordingly for it.
- In addition to passing the cut off scores in the entrance test, one must have a minimum of 55% marks in class 12th examination.
- Physics, Chemistry, and Maths are the compulsory subjects in class 10th and 12th.
- For admission to PG courses, a B.Tech is compulsory. Also, the scores of the GATE exam is taken for merit list preparation.
- The admission to the B.Tech program is largely based on how you score in the entrance test.
Skills Required to be a Mining Engineer
The set of skills expected from a Mining Engineer are:
- Operating as a team and willing to handle and inspire people
- Plan Execution
- Problem-solving analytics
- Reporting and correspondence
- Time management and preparation, and the opportunity to prioritize the workload
- Finance Planning and Budgeting
- Ux, and software professional.
What to expect from a career as a Mining Engineer?
There are certain things which we expect from our job. But the reality is these over expectations are shattered as soon as we join the work. To save oneself from such upsetting experiences one must beforehand analyze what to expect and what not to expect from your career. Below is the overview of how a Mining engineer job would feel like.
- Although on-site conditions may be difficult, the job itself isn’t physically too hard.
- Self-employment isn’t an option but consultancy work is possible for those with industry expertise and a strong communication network.
- Most of the jobs are based overseas, particularly in South America, Australia, and Africa. The UK has not many conventional jobs in mining engineering but has vacancies in similar fields, such as tunneling, quarrying, and building.
- The need to travel to gain experience and grow a career would undoubtedly affect individuals with family obligations. Most mining engineers build up their experience abroad and then either travel back to the UK or permanently emigrate.
- You may experience feelings of isolation and alienation. You will also be exposed to a variety of different cultures and societies, however, which can be an enriching experience.
What is the admission process for a Mining Engineering course?
B. Tech program is the most basic program level that lays down the foundation for a prospering career in Mining Engineering. for admission to the B.Tech courses, one must appear and qualify the cut off of various national and college level entrance examination. A list of such entrances tests conducted by top colleges are:
- JEE mains and advanced – conducted by NTA for admission to IITs, NITs, and IIITs.
- VITEEE – Vellore technological University
- BITSAT – Birla institute of science and technology, Pilani
- MU-OET – Manipal university
- KIITEE – Kalinga Institute of technology
- ComedK – for admission to engineering colleges in Karnataka.
To appear in these exams one must submit an online application form that is available on the respective exam website. In the case of a college-level exam, the application form is released on the college official website itself. To submit an online application form you must follow the below-mentioned steps.
- Registration process – new students have to enter their phone number and email address on the official website to register. For students who have already registered but not completed the submission of the application form, the login option is available for them.
- After you have successfully registered on the website, you will receive a confirmation mail and message with login details.
- Students have to use the email id and password to log in and fill the online application form.
- Candidates have to fill name, parent’s name, address, and education qualifications of class 10th and 12th in the form.
- The third step is to scan and upload important documents that will be attached to the form.
- Please upload documents in their correct section otherwise the application form will be rejected by the authorities.
- The required documents are photo id proof ( Aadhar card, pan card, driver license or passport), class 10th certificate, class 12 admit card or mark sheet, passport size photograph, postcard size photograph, and signature.
- The last step is the payment of the application fee. Students can pay the fee online through net banking, credit card, debit card, or UPI methods.
Important points to consider while applying online
- You must always apply through the link provided by the official college or exam website.
- Never forget to check and confirm your payment status. If your payment status does not show as successful then please proceed to pay the second time. The refund for unsuccessful payment will be initiated to the source.
- Always download and print the application form and payment receipt after submission.
- The submitted documents should be clear and accurate.
- Always stay updated with the respective college and exam official websites for any notification on cut off, scorecard, admit card and counseling dates.
Mining Engineering Course Fee
The course fee depends on the choice of your college and institute. Government colleges charge less than the private ones. The average course fee is between Rs. 6,00,000 to Rs. 12,00,000 per annum. There may be other additional charges of the hostel, mess, lab and semester exam fee, security deposit, etc.
The course prospectus has complete details on fee. You are advised to carefully read it before applying.
Mining Engineering Syllabus
The course irrespective of B.Tech or M.Tech is divided into semesters and each semester is for 6 months. The syllabus is designed to train students in all the topics of mining techniques and processes.
The subjects of study are:
- Mineral Processing
- Geotechnical Engineering
- Minerals Processing
- Ore Reserve Analysis
- Rock Mechanics
- Mine Planning
- Industrial Management
- Materials Handling
- Drilling and Blasting
- Design of Engineering Structures
- Environmental aspects of mining
- Mine Health and Safety
Top colleges for Mining Engineering courses
The reputed top engineering colleges for Mining engineering are:
- IIT, Kharagpur
- NIT, Rourkela
- The Neotia College, Kolkata
- Chandigarh University
- BITS, Hyderabad
- IIT, Kharagpur
- ISM, Dhanbad
- IT BHU Varanasi
- NITK Surathkal
- VNIT Nagpur
- Anna University, Tamil Nadu
- NIT Raipur
- IIEST, Shibpur (Earlier BESU)
- BIT Sindri
- MBM Engineering College, Jodhpur
- IIT KHARAGPUR
- Government Engineering College, Gandhinagar
- Government Engineering College, Bilaspur
As a mining engineer, you’ll ensure that mines and other surface and underground projects build safely and effectively. The position incorporates an understanding of the impact of these systems on the world around them, as well as technical expertise and management skills.
The duties of mining engineers are:
- Assessing the viability of new sites and their potential for commercial gain
- Evaluating the dangers of extraction
- Produce templates or proposals for prospective mining sites
- Planning and implementation of extraction methods
- Usage of professional computer systems to optimize output and planning
- Oversight and evaluation of underground results
- Managing building programs
- Ensuring that activities follow health and safety standards
- Make sure that the devices used are safe
- Budget Planning
- Education and staff management
- Liaising and collaborating with the management and technical staff
- Data Review
- Record keeping
- Costing and coordinating supplies.
You can be hired as:
- Mining Engineer
- Mining Engineering Technicians
- Research Engineers- Data Mining
- Deputy Chief Mechanical – Metals & Mining
- Assistant Mining Engineer
- Mining Engineer / Mine Planner
- Technical Consultant- Mining Industries
Top companies hiring Mining engineers
The recruiting companies with the best pay for Mining engineers are:
- The Indian Bureau of Mines
- Geological Survey of India
- Neyveli Lignite Corporation
- Essel Mining & Industries Ltd.
- Hindustan Zinc Limited
- Adani Mining Pvt. Ltd.
- Arcelor Mittal
- Bharat Forge Limited
- Cairn Energy
- Coal India Ltd.
- Damodar Valley Corporation
What are the Salary Packages given to the Mining Engineers?
The average salary of a mining engineer in India is around Rs. 6,00,000 to Rs. 8,00,000 per annum. The salary depends on the individual’s skills and experience in the sector.
Apply today to a B.Tech in Mining engineering and get one with your career.