Graphic Designing in India: Do you have a rich imagination? Is your mind full of creative ideas? Then a career as a Graphic designer is made only for you. Enroll today in a Graphic designing course.
What is Graphic Designing?
Graphic designers are those experts who combine text and images to create a visual representation of a specific idea. This visual representation is made to interact with the target audience.
Graphic design is also known as visual design and communication. People with extraordinary imagination and creativity help to transform an idea into a visual form of communication. They use words, images, and audio to build visual communication for the audience.
Graphic designers are usually employed in web designing companies where they have to prepare layouts and designs for websites. These layouts are then converted into functional websites through computer programming.
Logos, prints, magazines, books, posters, signboards, and billboards are the finest examples of graphic design.
If you are in love with art and design, then you must pursue a course in Graphic design.
Don’t worry if you do not know how and where to start. We have got you covered with all the information on graphic design and visual communication courses.
Career in Graphic Designing – Highlights
|Eligibility||Class 10th for diploma courses Class 12th for Bachelors courses|
|Course fee||Rs. 30,000 – Rs. 5,00,000|
|Salary||Rs. 5,00,000 – Rs. 12,00,000|
|Job types||Art or Creative Director Architecture and Engineering Drafter Video and Film Editor Graphic Designer Product or Industrial Designer Marketing Manager Campaign Manager Multimedia Artist or Animator Technical Writer Web Designer|
|Companies recruiting||Wipro technologies Design Factory India General Motors Design Moonraft Innovation Labs Pvt. Ltd. SAP Labs India Pvt. Ltd. Eastern Silk Industries Ltd.|
What are the courses for a Career in Graphic Design?
Graphic design requires the use of Adobe creative cloud, Illustrator, Photoshop, Indesign, and many other design software. He should also know HTML, XML, and web programming scripts.
A person could only get such knowledge and experience through a course in Graphic design. There are many courses such as Diploma, Certificate, Bachelors, and Masters Course for Graphic Design.
Diploma and certificate courses for Graphic Designing
The duration of the course is for 2 years. The subcategories under this course are:
- Advance Diploma in Graphic Design
- Certificate in Graphic Design
- Graduate Diploma Program in Graphic Design
- Post-Graduate Diploma Program in Graphic Design
Bachelors course for Graphic Designing
The duration of the course is for 3 years. This is an undergraduate course in Graphic design. The programs under this course are:
- Bachelors of Design in Graphic Design
- Bachelors of Graphic Design
- Bachelor of Arts in Graphic Design
Masters course for Graphic designing
The Masters’s course in Graphic design is only for those who have a bachelor’s degree in the same. The duration of the course is 2 years. It offers specialization in the areas of graphic design.
- Master of Arts in Graphic Design
- Master of Design in Graphic Design
This course is for those who want to have research and specialization in the field of graphic design.
- Doctoral program in Graphic Design
Eligibility Criteria for Admission in Graphic Designing Courses
The eligibility criteria for admission may be different for different colleges. But the standard essential criteria followed by all the universities and colleges are as follows:
- One should have qualified class 12th from a recognized board or university.
- The minimum marks in the class 12th passing certificate should be 55% or above. Although the higher is your marks, the more chances are there to be selected in the merit list of top colleges.
- For a Diploma course in Graphic design, one can apply even after qualifying class 10th from a recognized board or university.
- The admission to the Bachelors’s course is made based on the marks of class 12th.
- The admission on the Master’s course is made based on performance in the Bachelors’s course.
- One should always check the college prospectus for exact details on the admission eligibility criteria.
Skills required for a Career in Graphic Designing
Web design or graphic design is not everyone’s cup of tea. Although the course trains you in the knowledge of computer programming and foundations of graphic design but one must have some skills and talent beforehand.
These skills help students to take their career in graphic design to new heights.
- One should be very innovative.
- He should always strive for new ideas.
- He/ she must have an open mind for the flow of unique ideas.
- He must have a creative vision of things.
- He should have basic knowledge of computer programming.
- One should know how to use HTML or XML.
- He should be good for IT skills.
- He must have the ability to meet the clients’ requirements.
- Good communication skills are essential.
- Understanding the needs and vision of the client is an integral part.
The admission processes for various courses under this category are different.
For a diploma course, the merit list is prepared based on the marks of class 10th of the candidates applied. There is no entrance exam for Diploma courses. This may vary with colleges. Candidates with good marks are the ones to be selected in the first merit list.
For a Bachelors’s course in Graphic Designing, all the universities and colleges conduct the entrance examination. Candidate has to score higher than the cut offset by each university or college. The examination that one needs to appear for is AIEED. There are other graphic designing entrance exams for private colleges. The exams are:
- NID Entrance exam 2020MIT Entrance exam
- CEED Entrance exam 2020
- UCEED Entrance Exam 2020
- Symbiosis entrance exam 2020
For a Masters’s course, there is a provision of both entrance exams and marks scored by the students in the Bachelors’s class. You have to appear in the AIEED examination to get admission to Postgraduate courses.
- The forms are available online at the respective official website of the college or university.
- One needs to fill all the details correctly.
- Forms are to be submitted online.
- You have to pay the application fee online. Online payments can be made through Net Banking or UPI methods.
- After successful online payment, you will receive a receipt on the computer screen confirming successful application form submission.
- Print out the receipt with the admission number for future use.
- In the case of colleges taking entrance exams. You will be given a date of exam and admit card.
- One needs to print out the admit card to sit in the entrance exam.
- The cut off is released after one month from the exam date. Only those candidates who cross the amount off are called for counseling.
- One needs always to cut off marks and counseling dates.
As it is a job-oriented course, the fee is practically high than in other courses. The course fee depends on the college you select. However, the general range of fees is between Rs. 30,000 to Rs. 5,00,000.
One must always check with the concerned college department for information on charges.
The syllabus is designed to train students in the basics of computer applications, web design, and graphic design.
The topics covered in the syllabus are:
- Typographic Design
- Computer Studies
- Basic Information
- color Theory for Computer
- Graphic Principle and Method of Design Introduction to Multimedia
- Digital publishing
- Visual Communication
- Sound Principles
- Introduction of Computer Animation
- Modeling using CAD
- Multimedia Authoring
- Digital Portfolio Development & Presentation
- Web Design
- Flash & Scripting for the Web
- Principles of Management
- Web Campaign Implementation
- Drawing as Basis for 2D and 3D Animation
- Design: Character
- Animation the Production Process
Colleges / Institutions
Though there are a number of private and government colleges that offer courses in Graphic design. But some of the top colleges in India are:
You can also choose to get a Graphic design course internationally. The top international colleges are:
- Aalto University School of Arts, Design, and Architecture-Helsinki, Finland-www.arts.aalto.fi/en
- Copenhagen Institute of Interaction Design-Copenhagen, Denmark-www.ciid.dk
- Academy of Media Arts Cologne-Köln, Germany-www.khm.de
- Florence Institute of Design International-Florence, Italy-www.florence-institute.com
- European University, Cyprus-Nicosia, Cyprus-www.euc.ac.cy
Graphic design is important for the marketing of products and services. They design logos and company websites that market and sell their products or services online. They also design book covers, magazines, and brochures.
The primary tasks of graphic designers are:
- They create layouts using colors, images, and text.
- They meet with clients to know their requirements and share with them their vision for the design.
- They use digital illustrations, photo editing software, and layout software to create designs.
- Also, they need to work with other graphic and web designers to complete a specific project.
- Graphic designers constantly edit their designs and layouts on the recommendations of the seniors.
- They also make changes to the design based on the client’s feedback.
- They develop graphics for illustrations, logos, and websites.
- Determine the aim and the message that graphic design is portraying.
After completing a course in graphic designing, one can be hired as:
- Art or Creative Director
- Architecture and Engineering Drafter
- Video and Film Editor
- Graphic Designer
- Product or Industrial Designer
- Marketing Manager
- Campaign Manager
- Multimedia Artist or Animator
- Technical Writer
- Web Designer
Companies or sectors that recruit students of Graphic designing
The top recruiters in this field are:
- Wipro technologies
- Design Factory India
- General Motors Design
- Moonraft Innovation Labs Pvt. Ltd.
- SAP Labs India Pvt. Ltd.
- Eastern Silk Industries Ltd.
What is the salary of a Graphic designer in India?
There is a huge scope for graphic designers as the expansion of the internet has seen a boom in the birth of websites. Graphic designers in India can initially earn Rs.5,00,000 per annum. But with experience, the salary can go as high as Rs. 12,00,000 per annum.
Talent and creativity are valued in this field.
People with creative capability will have a bright future in the graphic designing field.
Follow your creative instincts and make a career in Graphic design.