Hotel Management: If you have a pleasant personality and a good communication skill then a career in Hotel management can be great for you.
The growth of the hospitality industry all over the world is due to the current globalization. This also results in students taking up a career in the hotel management sector.
Hotel management jobs also promise of high salaries. This is one of the reasons for students to choose a course in Hotel management.
You can get a degree in various specializations of hotel management like food, catering, beverage service, front office management, kitchen operations etc.
A course in Hotel management is also known as Hospitality Management, Hotel Administration or Hotel and Tourism Management.
The course trains students in specialized areas. The areas of speciality are:
· lodging and facilities management
· food and beverage industry
· event management
· tourism industry
Hotel Management: Benefits
One can gain a lot of benefits from a course in Hotel management like:
· Candidate receives an overall personality development.
· The course enhances communication skills in the individual.
· Students are always encouraged and taught to work as a team.
· Students are trained to develop leadership qualities during the course.
· They are also taught the skills of business management.
· Students also receive training in event management and other hospitality operations.
Career in Hotel management – Highlights
|Eligibility||Class 10th for Diploma course Class 12th for UG courses|
|Course fee||Rs. 4,00,000 – Rs. 6,00,000|
|Salary||Rs. 7,00,000 – Rs. 12,00,000|
|Job type||Chef, hotel manager, Food manager, Floor supervisor, Banquet manager, Restaurant supervisor etc.|
|Companies recruiting||The Taj Group of HotelsMarriott International, Inc.Hyatt HotelsITC Group of HotelsThe Leela Palaces, Hotels & ResortsAccor Hostels|
What are the courses for a career in Hotel Management?
Hotel Management course gives the students opportunities in the areas of hotels, restaurant, travel, event, and tourism.
There are various courses like Diploma course, Bachelors course and Masters’ courses. One can also pursue a certificate course in Hotel management. Nowadays, you can even enrol in these courses through distance learning mode.
The duration of the course is 6 months to 1 year. Students can take admission after class 10th. There is no provision of entrance test for Diploma courses. However, some top colleges take interviews for the final merit list of selected students.
The various programs under Diploma courses are:
- Diploma in Hotel Management
- Diploma in Hotel Management & Catering Technology,
- Diploma in Hospitality Management
- Diploma in Housekeeping
- Diploma in Aviation Hospitality and Travel Management
- Certificate Course in Maritime Catering
- Certificate course in Hotel and Hospitality Management
The duration of the Hotel management course is 3 years. It is an undergraduate program in Hotel and Hospitality management. Aspirants can take admission after passing class 12th. Admission is carried out through entrance test and interview rounds.
The several programs in the undergraduate courses are:
- Bachelor of Hotel Management (BHM)
- Bachelors in Hotel Management and Catering Technology (BHMCT)
- BSc in Hospitality and Hotel Administration
- BA in Hotel Management
- BBA in Hospitality, travel & tourism
The duration of the course is 2 years. Only those students who have a graduation degree in the Hotel management or Hospitality sector can take up postgraduate courses.
The programs under this category are:
- Master of Hotel Management (MHM)
- Master in Tourism and Hotel Management (MTHM)
- MBA in Hotel Management
- MBA in Hospitality Management
- MSc Tourism and Hospitality Management
- MBA Hospitality
What are the admission eligibility criteria for a career in Hotel management?
Some colleges take admission on the merit basis while many colleges conduct entrance examination and interview. But the common eligibility criteria for applying to the various courses in Hotel management are as follows:
- Aspirants should have a minimum of class 12th passing certificate from recognized board or university.
- The minimum percentage of marks is 50% or above in class 12th.
- For admission to Diploma courses and Certificate courses, one can apply after passing class 10th.
- Also, English as a core subject is mandatory in class 10th and class 12th.
Skills required for a Career in Hotel management
Applicants who need to make a career in the field of Hospitality Management ought to have the option to perform multiple tasks because in this field one is continually tried to extend their limits and that too all the time. Some essential aptitudes that an individual ought to have to be fruitful in the Hotel management industry are:
- He should have an outgoing and pleasant personality.
- One must possess excellent communication skills.
- Candidate should have Polite demeanour.
- Creativity is an essential factor in this field.
- He should always have a Customer-oriented approach.
- He/she must be able to carry out his responsibilities with dedication.
- He/she should always maintain discipline in his conduct and behaviour.
- Team spirit is always encouraged and appreciated.
- He must have confidence in himself.
- He/she should be a good listener. Only then he can listen properly to customer’s needs and problems and try to solve it.
- One should have the ability to adjust in a crowd/ different circumstances.
- Students should also have the ability to be committed and dedicated to a task.
- He must have a willingness to work long and odd hours.
- He should have the ability to multi-task.
Hotel Management: Course Fee
The general course fee of a course in hotel management is between Rs. 4,00,000 to Rs. 6,00,000. But it is always recommended that you must check with the respective college before admission.
Hotel management: Admission Process
Colleges conduct national and state level entrance exams for admission to Hotel management courses. These entrance exams are:
- NCHM JEE
- AIMA UGAT
- UPSEE BHMCT
- MAT CET HM
- WBJEE HM
- AIHMCT WAT
- IPU CET
A list of the Government or Private University or Colleges offering courses in Hotel management.
- Universities and colleges release admission forms online.
- Every year a large number of students apply after class 12th.
- Admission prospectus for distance education is updated online on the college website
- The application forms are available online at the respective official website of the Colleges.
- You can fill and submit the forms online or offline in some cases.
- One should be very cautious while filling all the details in the admission form.
- You will be asked to pay specific registration fees or admission fees.
- The online payment can be made using Net Banking or UPI methods.
- In the case of the entrance examination, you will be provided exam date and admit card download date.
- Download the admit card on time given.
- Merit lists and cut off are released by all the colleges within a month of the entrance exam.
- For admission to the top colleges, one needs to pass the cut off percentage with high margin.
Hotel Management – Syllabus
The syllabus is specially designed for 6 semesters. All the subjects taught are related to hotels and hospitality industry. It aims to give fundamentals of Hospitality and business sector. In addition to theory, practicals are also included in each semester. This gives students experience for the job ahead.
The subjects taught are:
- General English
- Principles of management
- Basics of computer applications
- Financial accounting
- Advance English
- Business maths
- Business statistics
- Environmental studies
- Micro economies
- Business law
- Cost accounting
- Macro economies
- Travel and tourism
- Economics of tourism
- Global tourism
- Hospitality retail management
- Tourism marketing
Hotel Management: Colleges
The top colleges that offer courses in Hotel Management in India are:
- NLM university
- Amity university
- Manipal university
- IHM Bangalore
- IHM Lucknow
- SRM university of Hotel Management
- Delhi university
- Ambedkar university
- IIHM Pune
- IIHM Kolkata
- IIHM Mumbai
What is the salary given to the Hotel management professionals in India?
The rise in the hospitality sector opens enormous scope for high paying jobs for students with a degree in Hospitality management.
Students after graduation earn around Rs. 7,00,000 – Rs.12,00,000 per annum in India.
Hotel management: Job Types
The job in the hospitality industry is not a cakewalk. One has to work very hard to rise high in this sector.
After a degree in Hotel Management students can be hired in the following sectors:
- Event management
- Facility management companies
The hospitality industry is the spot in this time of globalization. There are numerous portfolios wherein applicants can make a profession in the Hospitality business.
The responsibilities of several jobs in the Hotel and Hospitality industry are:
1. Hotel Manager
Individuals working in such an occupation profile are responsible for the general activities of an inn. A lodging chief is answerable for keeping up the standard of administration offered at the Hotel and guarantees that all facilities are provided to visitors. A lodging administrator manages the working of the housekeeping office, guarantees that excellent quality food is offered to visitors and is likewise engaged with the functioning of the dinner office. He/she is liable for expanding the income earned by the inn.
2. Front Office Manager
In this activity profile, one is required to direct crafted by reservation representatives, receptionists, data agents, porter and the ringer kid. Front office supervisors are additionally liable for guaranteeing that rooms offered to visitors meet their necessities. A front office administrator additionally needs to organize between the housekeeping office just as the food and drink division now and again to guarantee that solicitations made by visitors are satisfied on schedule.
3. Housekeeping Manager
Individuals chipping away at this particular employment profile are liable for guaranteeing that the whole lodging premises, directly from the visitor rooms, meal lobbies, meeting rooms just as the banquet room, is spotless and very much kept up. A housekeeping chief is answerable for making lists, preparing staff and administering crafted by servants, cleaners and sewers. Housekeeping Manager is likewise entrusted with the activity of requesting cleaning supplies conveniently.
4. Food and Beverage Manager
Professionals in this vocation decision need to design, sort out and direct crafted by the cooking office. Individuals in this profile are generally endowed with the assignment of connecting with visitors and guaranteeing that the requirements/requests of clients are satisfied.
5. Restaurant and Food Service Manager
Individuals working in this profile are answerable for checking out cutlery, cleaning supplies, cloths, paper, cooking utensils just as furniture and apparatuses of the inn’s eatery regions. They are likewise the individuals in-control for masterminding hardware support and fixes.
They are answerable for getting ready dinners, preparing kitchen staff, requesting supplies, arranging menus, dealing with the kitchen financial plan, authorizing wellbeing and security guidelines and safeguarding food quality. Chefs are usually the primary individuals to go after work and the last ones to leave.
7. Banquet Manager
In this activity profile, one is liable for each occasion that is directed at the inn’s meal. The dinner director is capable to lease the feast for corporate events or private gatherings. A meal chief needs to work intimately with the providing food office just as the food and refreshment administrator to guarantee that available bites, food and beverages are offered to the visitors.
Individuals working in this activity profile are answerable for guaranteeing that cutlery is spread out at the lodging’s cafés according to necessity. They likewise need to ensure that the dining rooms have satisfactory and appropriate goods. Stewards also need to guarantee that the nourishment for room administration is arranged rapidly and requests are served quickly and precisely.
9. Floor Supervisors
They are responsible for the upkeep of the considerable number of rooms on a lodging’s floor. They work intimately with servants and maids.
Hotel management Recruiters
The top companies that hire professionals in this field are:
- The Taj Group of Hotels
- Marriott International, Inc.
- Hyatt Hotels
- ITC Group of Hotels
- The Leela Palaces, Hotels & Resorts
- Accor Hostels
- Intercontinental Hotels & Resorts Group
- Hilton Worldwide
- Courtyard by Marriott
- Oberoi Group of Hotels
One can get a prospering career in the Hospitality industry. All you need is patience to work hard and gain experience. The more experienced you are, the more you will be valued.
Apply today in a course in Hotel management.