Air Hostess Complete Career Guide: Do you dream to fly high? Then be an Air Hostess and achieve your dream to touch the sky.
Air hostess is one of the high-paying professions in today’s world. It is not only respectable but also glamorous. Do you know the first female flight attendant was Ellen Chruch in 1930 hired by United Airlines?
So before you take a step towards your dream profession; let’s introduce you to the basics of becoming an Air Hostess.
Get yourself acquainted with this detailed information on the career line of an Air Hostess:-
- Job of an Air Hostess
- Qualifications required
- Courses offered
- Air Hostess Training Institutes
1. Job of an Air Hostess
The other names for an Air hostess are Flight attendants or Cabin Crew. They are also known as Stewards/stewardesses. The job of an Air Hostess is not as easy as it seems to be.
They are fully responsible for the welfare comfort and safety of the passengers on board. An Air Hostess needs to always carry herself with dignity and maintain decorum. While handling the passengers you must always be very respectful and considerate. It is their responsibility to check the emergency arrangements before the takeoff and landing of the plane.
There are mainly three basic categories of responsibilities that an Air Hostess must adhere to.
- On ground
The duty that come under these three categories are as follows:-
- Ensure that emergency and medical kits are available.
- Ensure the hygiene maintenance of the toilets.
- To check the availability of meals and beverages and their distribution in flight.
- Helping passengers with their tickets, seats, and hand luggage.
- Greeting passengers on their arrival and after landing.
- To ensure the safety of the passengers by checking their seat belts, closing the luggage compartment, and other safety measures.
- An Air Hostess is also responsible for making important announcements.
- In case of any emergency, they must help and assist passengers on board.
- They also need to maintain a list of lost and found items after the landing.
- They are also required to manage the cash earned through selling articles.
2. Qualifications required for Air Hostess
Air Hostess is a very high-demanding profession. You must meet the list of qualifications required and fulfill the eligibility standards defined by the airline career services.
- The minimum educational qualification depends on the course you decide to enroll. If you plan to pursue Post Graduation course in Air Hostess then the minimum requirement is Graduation. However, if you choose to go for a diploma course then you must have a 10+2 degree/certificate.
- The age limit for the courses depends on your choice of Institute or academy. However, usually, the preferred age group is between 17 years to 26 years.
- Institutes mostly prefer unmarried girls but this condition may vary according to the institutes. Some institutes do allow married girls.
- The job of an Air Hostess is all about your personality and appearance.
- One should be very fluent in English, Hindi, and other foreign or regional languages required by the Airlines.
- You must have the expected physical fitness and behavioral skills.
- The minimum height must be 5.2” or 157 cm.
- You should have good communication skills and a pleasant personality.
- You should always be ready to work for long hours and must encourage teamwork.
- Air Hostess candidates with a good presence of mind and a positive attitude are appreciable.
- There are several medical conditions too like the candidate should not be suffering any mental or another major disease.
3. Air Hostess Career: Courses Offered
The programmes related to Air Hostess and Cabin crew comes under “Aviation and Hospitality Management”
There are three types of courses in this category:
- Diploma Courses
- Certificate courses
- Degree courses
You can apply for Diploma courses after Class 12th. The duration of Diploma courses in Air Hostess is for one year. The courses are:
- Diploma in Professional Cabin Crew Services
- Diploma in Professional Ground Staff Services
- Diploma in Airport Management & Customer Care
- Diploma in Airlines Management
- Diploma in Airlines and Travel Management
- Diploma in Ground handling & Cargo Management
- Diploma in Hospitality, Travel and Customer Service
- Diploma in Air Cargo Practices & Documentation
- Diploma in Airport Ground Staff Training and On-job Training
|Diploma in Ground Staff & Cabin Crew Training
|6 months to 1 year
|Air Hostess Diploma
|Air Cargo Practices and Documentation
|Diploma in Hospitality, Travel and Customer Service
|Professional Ground Staff Services
|Airport Ground Staff Training
|PG in Aviation and Hospitality Services
|Postgraduate Diploma Programme
|Airport Ground Services
|Postgraduate Diploma Programme
|PG in Aviation, Hospitality, Travel & Customer Service
|Postgraduate Diploma Programme
One can go for certificate courses in Air Hostess right after graduation. This a perfect option for candidates in look for professional jobs after graduation. The certificate courses for Air Hostess are as follows:
- Aviation and Hospitality Services
- Hospitality Travel and Customer Service
- Night Rating
- Aviation Management
- Air Hostess/Flight Purser
- Aviation Hospitality & Travel Management
- International Airlines and Travel Management
- Private Pilot Training
- Commercial Pilot Training
- Air Ticketing & Tourism
- Airport Ground Management
- Air RT / Radio Flight Officer
- International Air Cargo
- Certificate in Fare Ticketing Virgin Atlantic/ GTMC Courses
- Certificate Courses in Personality Development
- Certificate in Aviation Security and Safety
|Air Hostess/Flight Purser
|Course in International Airlines and Travel Management
|4 to 6 months
|Course in Aviation Hospitality & Travel Management
|Air Ticketing & Tourism
|Course in Aviation Security and Safety
|Course and Training in Airport Ground Management
|6 months to 1 year
The degree courses are for the duration of 3 years. One can apply for degree courses in Air Hostess after completing class 12th. It is similar to having a graduation degree in the Aviation sector.
- B.Sc. in Air Hostess Training
- B.Sc. Aviation
- Bachelor of Hospitality and Travel Management
- Bachelor of Travel and Tourism Management
- BBA (Aviation)
- MBA (Aviation)
It is always recommended to join a degree course.
4. Air Hostess Admission process
There are various dedicated institutes for courses and training in Air Hostess and Aviation career line. All institutes follow a certain selection process into the courses. You need to clear the selection process in order to get admission to the programmes offered by the institutes.
The application process starts by applying to the desired institutes. The application is available at the official website of the institute chosen. One needs to fill the application form accurately and provide the documents needed. Once the application process is complete then the selection procedure comes into play.
The selection procedure comprises of three steps.
- Written examination
- Group discussion round
The written examination is conducted to test the general intelligence and aptitude of the candidates. The examination has four sections. The questions are asked from general knowledge, reasoning ability, English language, and numerical ability. All the questions are in the form of multiple-choice questions.
Once you clear the cut-off of the written examination then you are called for the group discussion round.
In this round, the candidates are evaluated on the grounds of communication skills, presence of mind, leadership qualities, team working abilities, and positive attitude.
One needs to be prepared very efficiently for the group discussion round. It is very important to carry your personality well throughout the discussion. Only then you can make it for the next and final round of interviews.
In the final process to get admission to your desired institute you are expected to clear the interview round with good remarks. In the interview, you are tested for your overall personality. You will be asked questions related to your educational qualifications and your expectations from this job. The candidates should be ready to answer any questions asked by the interviewers perfectly and with confidence. You will be evaluated on your confidence level and how well you carry your personality. So don’t get nervous.
This is the general selection process followed by the majority of the institutes but the admission procedure may vary from institute to institute.
One can get the full details on the selection process of a certain institute on their official website.
The institutes recognized by the Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) are advised to strictly follow the guidelines of DGCA. According to DGCA, the candidates applying for Air Hostess and Aviation courses are required to pass the written examination followed by the interview round.
5. Top Air Hostess Training Institutes
Have a look at the top Air Hostess and Aviation training Institutes that offer world-class programmes.
- Rajiv Gandhi Memorial College of Aeronautics, Jaipur
- Air Hostess Academy, Pune
- Avalon Academy, Dehradun
- Air Hostess Academy, Delhi
- Frankfinn Institute of Air Hostess Training, Delhi
- Frankfinn Institute of Air Hostess Training, Mumbai
- Universal Airhostess Academy, Chennai
6. Syllabus of Air Hostess/ Cabin Crew
The general syllabus followed by the institutes for the Air Hostess/ Cabin crew course is listed below.
|Emergency Situation Handling
|Food & Catering Services
|Grooming and Presentation
|Leadership and Inter-Department Coordination
|Technical Training that includes Basic Aircraft Functions and Safety Procedures
7. Air Hostess Training Fees
Air Hostess course fee depends on several factors. They are:
- The type of institute you have decided to go to (Govt. Private or Aided).
- The course you choose – whether it is a Diploma, Certificate or Degree course.
- The course training program you apply to.
The average fee of an Air Hostess course is between Rs.50,000 to Rs.1,00,000.
8. Air Hostess Recruiters
Once you are holding a certificate or degree in Air Hostess/ Cabin Crew course, you are now good to be hired by these top Airline services.
- Air India
- Indian Airlines
- Alliance Air
- Go Air
- Jet Airways
- Gulf Air
- Singapore Airlines
- Jet Airways
9. Air Hostess – Recruitment Process
The recruitment process for an Air Hostess can be different for different airlines. Some Airlines publish their job requirement in newspapers whereas some airlines publish them online on their official website. After applying with the airlines either you go for walk an interview or are required to pass both written and interview rounds. It depends on how the airline company decides to test its candidates for the job.
10. Male Air Hostess
The job of an Air Hostess is not limited to only girls. Even males can also apply for a career in Air Hostess or Cabin Crew. A male Air Hostess is called Stewards. The qualifications, eligibility, responsibilities, and training courses are the same for both male Stewards and female Air hostesses.
11. Salary of Air Hostess
Air Hostess is a high-paying job. Although you may not be earning great at first but with experience, the pay increases sufficiently. The domestic airlines usually pay between Rs.25,000 to Rs.40,000 at first but senior Air Hostess gets around Rs.80,000 to Rs.1,25,000. The pay of International airlines is better compared to domestic ones. The initial salary of an Air Hostess in International airlines is around Rs.50,000.
Moreover, in addition to the salary airlines cover your medical insurance and other allowances.
Air Hostess not only receives an amazing salary but also gets to travel to several locations and meet people from different regions and cultures. You earn an experience of a lifetime.
Air Hostess is a high-profile profession. If you are one of those who aspire to dream big and are willing to work hard to achieve; then you must go for it.
Dream Big! Fly High!