In today’s world Information Technology (IT) has become the most important necessity for human society to work properly. From running the banks to getting food from a home-delivered restaurant, information technology has become the part and parcel of our lives. As a result of such a dependence on information technology, the demand for learning, and more advancement in this area has become one of the most important fields in education and career. Including IT & Technology, Engineering, Aviation, and Medicine to MBA and even Hospitality, you can find IT specialization in every branch of education.
A career in IT can be the best option for you. It is a job-oriented career that is sure to get you placed in one of the big companies with decent pay.
This article is a complete guide to all your queries regarding the course, eligibility criteria, and admission for a career in Information Technology in India.
What is Information Technology?
In our daily lives, information technology seems to be everywhere – from building a space ship to providing food at the doorstep. Speaking of applications, there is an application for any job that occurs under the sun to either help one understand how to do it or to teach one how to do it more efficiently and better. Under such an environment, an IT career is the most appropriate and financially rewarding path to pursue.
Most people confuse computer science with IT courses. Computer Science is the study of computing aspects, from designing microprocessors, personal and supercomputers to designing circuits and writing codes for the software that drives such machines, whereas information technology is concerned with data control and protection by electronic devices and their related software.
Why a career in Information Technology is a good option?
Almost everyone has gone through this question. Before taking up any job or a career path we often question ourselves as to why this is best for me? We also have doubts about whether this job will suit me or not. To save you from overthinking we have a list of reasons why you should take up a career in Information Technology.
- Tech firms looking to recruit I.T. Professionals as the demand is high and the professional employees are not enough to fill the void. And the phenomenon will not stop anytime soon, as the tech industry is expected to expand by 2020 by another 22-38 percent.
- Information technology is not an industry that is isolated. This overlaps with every other field, making this a flexible career opportunity. Digital transformation is pushing change in all business realms from healthcare to agriculture that makes I.T. Professionals should choose a profession that suits their interests.
- When technology gets better, I.T experts improve too. It’s a difficult job. But it helps them to expand their careers much faster and easier with the relentless pursuit of knowledge than in other industries.
- Tech practitioners are admired for their diverse sets of skills. That makes them priceless assets in any company. And when it comes to their financial incentives for their jobs, even at junior or entry-level roles it’s considerably higher than the normal standard.
What are the courses for a career in Information Technology?
There are many courses as per the requirement of the students at different levels. The eligibility and admission process for the different courses is different. Also, the syllabus and duration vary. The courses are Diploma, Bachelors, and Masters courses.
Diploma courses in IT
The duration of the course is 2 years. One can take admission after completing class 10th. There is no entrance test. However, a student with a good percentage is set to have more chances of making it to the merit list.
- Diploma in Information Technology
Bachelors courses in IT
The duration of the course is 3 to 4 years depending on the type of program you choose. For admission, there is an admission entrance exam. Also, class 12th examination is considered as the qualifying exam for undergraduate courses. One must have passed class 12th from a recognized board or university. The programs under UG category are:
- BE in Information Technology
- B.Tech in Information technology
- BCA in Information Technology
- B.Sc in Information Technology
Masters courses in IT
The postgraduation course in IT is a research-oriented program. the duration of the course is 2 years. For admission to the M.Tech program, one needs good scores in GATE. While in other courses the criteria are different. Only those who hold a UG degree in the respective field are eligible to apply. The programs under the Master’s course are:
- M.Tech in Information Technology
- MCA in Information Technology
- M.Sc in Information Technology
Information Technology courses – Who can apply?
The eligibility criteria depend on the course you wish to apply. The B.Sc and M.Sc have different eligibility criteria whereas the B.Tech program requires different basic minimum admission criteria. The common eligibility criteria for the courses in Information Technology are as follows:
- For UG courses it is compulsory to have a class 12th passing certificate.
- For Diploma courses one must be class 10th passed from a recognized board or university.
- For postgraduation courses, one should hold a UG degree in the respective field.
- Minimum Eligibility Criteria for BE/BTech in ITThe students must have qualified class 12 with Science stream (PCM/PCMB) or equivalent from a recognized board or university.
- Minimum aggregate marks in class 12th must be 60%.
- Computer Science as one of the subjects in class 12th is desirable.
- Science should be the main subject of study in class 10th.
- Minimum Eligibility Criteria for BSc in IT
- The student must have science with Physics, Chemistry, and Maths as the main subjects in class 12th.
- The minimum marks in class 12th should be 55%.
- Computer Science as one of the subjects in class 10th is desirable.
- Minimum Eligibility Criteria for BCA
- The candidate must have passed class 12 in Science stream (PCM/PCMB) or Commerce stream or equivalent from a recognized board or university with 50% marks.
- Computer Science as one of the subjects in HSC is desirable
- Minimum Eligibility criteria for MTech in IT
- The candidate must hold a B.Tech degree in IT.
- Minimum Eligibility Criteria for MCA
- The applicant must have completed a minimum 3 year Bachelor’s degree in BCA, B.Sc. (Information Technology / Computer Science) with Mathematics as a 10 + 2 or Graduate Level course.
- Minimum Eligibility Criteria for MSc in IT
- The candidate must have completed a minimum 3-year Bachelor’s degree in the related division with Math as a 10 + 2 or Graduate level course.
Skills required for Information Technology Jobs
As an IT professional, you will need to be able to interact well with your bosses and colleagues to help them solve technical issues and make better use of their tech tools’ resources. When you’re an IT security developer or staff, you’ll need to work well with teams and communicate your thoughts well with your colleagues. Quick every IT job needs strong, verbal, and written communication skills.
Organizing makes you more effective and successful in the job. Most IT jobs are diverse and give you the ability to jump to various projects and tasks. Multitasking can be a huge skill-but only if you can organize yourself properly.
Being analytical gives you a huge advantage in IT, where you are supposed to always find rational solutions to problems. Analytical skills help you to diagnose and fix technology problems. They allow you to do stuff such as finding out why a line of code doesn’t yield the desired result or why a server is down. When you have an analytical mind, you can also detect problems before they come up.
For today’s IT work, one of the main requirements is the willingness to use technology creatively to address a specific business need or develop a solution that helps the organization move forward.
Information Technology: Admission process
The admission process for all the courses is the same in the way that one has to fill the college admission form, appear in the entrance test if any and wait for the cut off and merit lists. Although in the case of B.Tech courses there are national level entrance exams for which students have to fill the form from the exam website and not the college website. All the government engineering colleges consider marks of JEE mains and advanced exams. Some private colleges also conduct their college-level entrance test. In that case, one has to fill the online application form from the respective college website. This is true for all courses and programs.
The step by step process of online admission form submission is:
- Every college and university releases its prospectus and admission forms online on its official website.
- One must download the prospectus and read it carefully as it describes the courses, syllabus, and course fee.
- The admission form is to be submitted online.
- Fill your name, parents’ name, education details, and contact details carefully.
- After the submission of all the documents, you have to pay the admission fee.
- The admission fee can be paid online through Net banking or UPI online payment methods.
- Only when the fee payment status is “OK” your form is successfully submitted.
- You will receive a confirmation on the successful submission of the form on email id and registered mobile.
- You must print out the receipt with the admission number for future reference.
- The cut off and merit list are released online on the college website.
- Once the cut off is released, you are called for admission.
Information Technology: Syllabus
The course is divided into semesters. Each semester is for 6 months. The subjects of study in an IT course are:
- Introduction to Programming
- Data structure and algorithm
- Basic Electronics
- Digital logic and Circuits
- Engineering Mechanics
- Communicative English
- Electrical Circuits
- Electrical measurements
- Practical Lab
- Object-oriented Programming
- Object-oriented Systems
- Software engineering
- Principles of Communication
- Computer graphics
- Computer Networks
- Computer architecture
- Numerical methods and Optimization Techniques
- Multimedia coding and communications
- Design and analysis algorithms
- Wireless networks
- Cryptography and network security
- Graph Theory
- Distributed system algorithms
- Web Technologies
- Principles of Computer Design
- Formal language and automata
- Operating Systems
- Distributed system and applications
- Image processing
- Digital Signal Processing
Top colleges for Information Technology courses
The best popular colleges in India for IT courses are:
- Manipal university
- Vellore Technological university
- College of Engineering Pune
- Dayanand Sagar college of engineering
- SRM institute of technology
- Kalinga university
- PSG College of Technology
- Delhi technological university
- Hindu college
- St. Stephens college
- Birla Institute of Technology, Ranchi
Information Technology: Course Fees
The average course fee for different courses is given below. Please note that the fee does not include hostel, mess, security deposit, semester exam, and lab charges. There may be several other charges other than the basic course fee.
Government colleges – Rs. 2,00,000 – Rs. 14,00,000
Private colleges – Rs. 2,40,000 – Rs. 16,00,000
Government colleges – Rs. 3,00,000 – Rs. 5,00,000
Private colleges – Rs. 7,00,000 – Rs. 17,00,000
Government colleges – Rs. 20,000 – Rs. 1,00,000
Private colleges – Rs. 40,000 – Rs. 1,50,000
Information Technology – Jobs
Information technology is currently one of the most employment-generating industries in India and abroad. Every aspect of setting up and running an organization needs an IT professional, from production, logistics, and finance to management, HR and security, IT is the backbone of every operation today.
One can be hired as:
- Junior Programmer
- Database Administrator
- Junior Network Manager
- Data Analyst
- Software Developer
- Software Engineer
- Client-Server Systems Manager
Top recruiting companies hiring IT experts
- HCL Infotech
One can earn an average salary of Rs. 6,00,000 to Rs. 10,00,000 per annum.
Those who wish to have a bright future must take IT as his/her career path.