Software Engineer Career Guide: Courses, Admission, Syllabus, Fee, Scope and Salary
Software engineering is the top priority of engineering aspirants in India. They are paid well and it gives immense job possibilities in foreign countries too.
In the age of computers, everything is dependent on software, programming, and coding. That is why the role of a software engineer is very crucial.
Software engineering is a detailed engineering study of software design, development, and maintenance. Software engineering has been introduced to tackle the problems of low-quality software projects. Problems occur when a program usually meets time limits, budgets, and lower quality standards. It ensures the application is consistently, correctly built on time, on budget, and within requirements. Software engineering demand has also emerged to cater to the immense rate of change in user requirements and the environment on which applications should be working.
To become a software engineer one must hold a degree in the same. Only a skilled and a degree holder in Software engineering gets placed as in one of the big companies with a decent job.
This article brings you all about software engineering and how to pursue it.
What is software engineering?
Software engineering is the application of the principles of engineering to software design, development, and implementation. Special training and formal degrees are required because software engineering is such a unique, scientific, and technology-driven field.
Software engineering is an important field for the whole of computer technology. Without the computer hardware software, the hardware is simply a clump of plastic, silicon, and metal – may be useful as an overpriced paperweight.
A software product is judged by the ease with which the end-user can use it and the features it offers to the user. The application is to be judged by the software engineers according to the following points:
Operational: -This tells how well a program performs on operations such as budget, usability, performance, accuracy, accessibility, reliability, safety, and security.
Transitional:-Transitional is important when you move an application from one platform to another. So in this area, portability, reusability, and adaptability come.
Maintenance:-This points out how well a program is performing in the evolving climate. Modularity, maintenance, flexibility, and scalability are a part of the maintenance.
Work responsibilities of a Software Engineer
The business environment relies heavily on software for so many purposes, from automated traffic control systems to complex production processes, and software engineers are instrumental in creating software which provides real solutions. A Software Engineer needs to tackle the entire lifecycle of software development to identify the needs, then to design, evaluate, and build software to satisfy those needs.
A standard job description for a Software Engineer includes:
- Improve system quality by identifying common problems and patterns, and develop standard operating procedures.
- Improve applications by identifying improvements, making recommendations, and designing and implementing systems.
- Maintenance and enhancement of current codebases and improvements in peer review code.
- Liaise with colleagues to build innovative designs
- Investigating new technologies and using them where relevant
- Providing written content for transfer of information
Skills required to become an Expert Software Engineer
- A passion for problem-solving and finding workable solutions.
- Expertise in algorithms and data structures.
- Clear analytical and reasoning skills with analysis of processes and outcomes.
- Expertise in troubleshooting software and debugging a large codebase.
- Exceptional all-round communication skills and collaborative capacity.
- Excellent competencies in debugging.
- Problem Solving Competencies
- Skill in programming languages such as C, C++, Java, C #, etc.
- Great Hardware and Computer skills.
- CASE (Computer-Aided Software Engineering) tools with good knowledge.
- Skills working in teams
What are the courses for Software engineering?
There are several courses offered for software engineering in the top engineering colleges of India. The courses are:
The duration of the course is 3 years. One can take admission after passing class 10th. The admission is based on the marks scored in class 10th.
- Diploma in software engineering
This is an undergraduate 4 years course under the B.Tech program. The cut off marks for software engineering branch is the highest. Only those who have scored a good percentage of marks in the entrance test and class 12th can get into this course. One must be class 12th passed or appearing to be eligible to apply for admission. The programs under this category are:
- B.Tech in Computer Science and Engineering
- B.Tech in Information Technology
- Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA)
- B.Sc in Computer Science/Information Technology
This is a specialized course in the software engineering field. The duration of the course is 2 years consisting of 4 semesters. Only those who hold a graduation degree in the same field can apply to the postgraduate program. The courses in this category are:
- M.Tech in Software Engineering
- M.Sc in Information Technology
- Master of Computer Applications (MCA)
What are the eligibility criteria required for the Software engineering course?
The eligibility criteria are the same as that of other courses with some exceptions. To get admission one must fulfill all the minimum requirements. Almost all the colleges of engineering follow the same basic minimum admission criteria but it is advisable to go through the respective college prospectus before applying. The common eligibility criteria for software engineering courses are:
• A Class 10 pass certificate must be obtained from a recognized board or university.
• In the case of the B.Tech course, Class 12 examination shall be considered a qualifying test and the qualifications for it shall be determined accordingly.
• In addition to meeting the cut-off scores in the entrance exam, the marks must be at least 55 percent in Class 12.
• Physics, chemistry, and math are compulsory subjects in Class 10 and Class 12.
• A B.Tech is mandatory for admission to PG courses. Also, the GATE exam scores are taken for consideration for the merit list.
• Admission to the B.Tech program depends to a large degree on how you score in the entrance exam.
Software Engineering Admission Process
The application process for all courses is the same as filling out the college admission form, participating in the entrance test if any, and waiting for the lists of merit and cut off. While there are national entrance exams in the case of B.Tech courses for which students must fill out the form on the exam website and not on the college website. All government engineering colleges consider JEE mains marks and advanced examinations. Even several private colleges carry out their admission examination at the college level. In that case, the online application form must be filled out from the respective college website. This is true for both programs and courses.
A list of national-level engineering entrances tests conducted by top colleges are:
- JEE mains and advanced – conducted by NTA for admission to IITs, NITs, and IIITs.
- VITEEE – Vellore technological University
- BITSAT – Birla institute of science and technology, Pilani
- MU-OET – Manipal university
- KIITEE – Kalinga Institute of technology
- ComedK – for admission to engineering colleges in Karnataka.
To participate in these tests, an online application form must be submitted and can be found on the respective exam website. In the case of a college-level examination, the application form will be released on the official website of the college itself. To send your application form online you must follow the steps listed below.
Registration process –
- New students must enter their phone number and e-mail address to register on the official website. The login option is available for students who have already registered but did not complete the submission of the application form.
- You would receive a confirmation mail and a message with login information after you have successfully registered to the website.
- Students must use an email Id and password to log in and fill out the application form online.
- Candidates must fill in the form of a Class 10th and 12th Title, Parent Name, Address, and Education Qualifications.
- The third stage would be to scan and upload essential documents attached to the form.
- Please submit documents in the appropriate section otherwise the Authorities would reject the application form.
- Photo identity documents required (Aadhar card, pan card, driver’s license or passport), 10th Class certificate, 12th Class admit card or mark sheet, passport size picture, postcard size picture, and signature.
- Applicants need to pay the application fee. Students can pay the fee online through methods such as net banking, credit card, debit card, or UPI.
Points to remember while applying online
- You always have to apply via the link provided by the official website of the college or exam.
- Never forget to check your payment status, and confirm it. If your payment status does not show as successful then please proceed to pay the second time. The refund will be initiated to source for an ineffective charge.
- Always download and print the application form and receipt of the payment upon submission.
- The records submitted need to be transparent and correct.
- Keep posted with the respective college and exam official websites for any cut-off updates, scorecards, admit cards, and counseling dates.
Software Engineering Course Fee
The fee for the course depends on your college and institute choices. State colleges offer a lower fee than private ones. The average fee for the course is between Rs 6,00,000 to Rs 12,00,000 per year. Other charges for the hostel, mess, laboratory and semester exam fees, security deposit, etc. may also apply.
The prospectus for the course has full fee information. You should read it carefully.
Software Engineering Syllabus
The syllabus of software engineering B.Tech course is as follows:
- Calculus And Solid Geometry
- Advanced Calculus And Complex Analysis
- Material Science
- Principles Of Environmental Science
- Programming Using C And C++
- Engineering Graphics
- Computer Organization & Architecture
- Data Structures & Algorithms
- Software Engineering, Programming Using Java,
- Principles Of Operating System And Compiler
- Computer Networks
- Software Architecture
- Software Design,
- Software Project Management
- Database Management Systems
- Cloud Computing, Software Testing
- Web Programming
- Software Maintenance And Administration,
- Visual Programming
- Networks Security
- Distributed Operating Systems, TCP/Ip Principles, Wireless, And Mobile Communication, Mobile Databases, Human-Computer Interaction, Knowledge-Based Systems, Bio-Informatics, Information Security, Design Pattern
- Real-Time Software System
- Linux Internals, XML & Web Services, Pervasive Computing, Networks Management, Embedded Systems, Enterprise Resource Planning, Decision Support System, Data Mining, Genetic Algorithm, And Machine Learning, Evolutionary Computing, Software Agents, Android Programming, Software Reliability
Top Colleges for Software Engineering
The best engineering colleges for software engineering in India are:
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Bombay
- IIT, Hyderabad
- IIT, Kharagpur
- IIT, Delhi
- IIT, Kanpur
- IIT, Madras
- IIT, Guwahati
- National Institute of Technology (NIT), Kurukshetra
- NIT, Durgapur
- Amity University, Gurgaon
- BITS Pilani
Software Engineering Jobs
Due to the rapid growth of the IT industries, there is huge scope for IT and CS students. The field of software engineering offers ample career options.
There are plenty of opportunities for software developers at a tech corporation. Public sector software engineers are also required. You can start your own Software Company after acquiring a good experience. You can work as a freelancer, as well.
Software engineers can select their teaching careers too.
You can also work with banks, schools, and colleges & financial institutions in the Public & Private sector.
You may also run consultancy as a Software Engineer to build & repair software according to client requirements.
Software engineering has plenty of scopes not only in India but abroad as well.
One can be hired as:
- Software Developer
- Software Executives
- Software Designers
- Software Programmers
- System Designer
- Project Manager
- Information Systems Manager
Top recruiting companies
The top companies that hire software engineers in India are:
- Wipro Ltd
- HCL Infosystems Ltd
- Tata Infotech Ltd
Salary in Software Engineering
A fresher in India would earn an average income of 3.5 to 4 lakes a year. If you have hands-on experience then you can earn good remuneration in this sector.
Those who work in the Java and Dot Net domain are getting a handsome pay package.
An average United States (US) software engineer’s pay is $94,000 per year. Salary may also depend on the firm/industry for which you work.