Computer engineering is one of the most sought after courses in India. This is because of the high demand for computer engineers in the IT sector and the handsome salary packages they get.
Computers have now become an essential part of our life. Everything from booking a ticket to shopping for clothes, appliances, and medicines has now transformed into the online platform. One can get all work done through the computer efficiently. Whether it is holding an office meeting to keeping track of your work or submitting assignments are now accessible over a few clicks on the computer. Even coaching institutes and schools have started online classes and tutoring to help students to study from any remote location.
The intensive use of computers in our life has resulted in the creation of jobs in the computer programming and maintenance related sector.
If you are a class 12th appearing student, then choosing a career in computer engineering will prove beneficial observing the current market trends.
Stay with us to know more about computer engineering courses, eligibility criteria, admission process, top colleges, salary, and job prospects.
What is Computer Engineering?
Software engineering combines informatics and electrical engineering to further advance information technologies, computer networking, and operating systems. Computer engineers, in effect, use their vast hardware and software design and computer programming skills to make computing systems and applications more effective and efficient.
Computer engineers work with hardware and software to ensure the integration and proper operation of the two is smooth. Innovation is the goal of computer engineers — making computing systems safer, faster, and more efficient. There are two primary paths at the professional level: Hardware and software engineering. Hardware engineers concentrate their expertise on computer systems and modules, and design microprocessors, circuit boards, routers, and other embedded devices. Such engineers on the software side develop, check and repair programs and applications that run on computers, mobile devices, and more.
What are the Courses in Computer Engineering?
Students can choose from several different courses to get a degree in Computer engineering. Computer engineering courses are Diploma courses, Bachelors courses, and Masters Courses. The eligibility criteria depend on the course you choose to apply.
Let’s explore in detail the courses and the duration of the study.
Diploma Course in Computer Engineering
The duration of the course is 2 – 3 years. You can apply for admission after passing class 10th. You should have a science background to apply to the diploma program. The programs under this category are:
- Diploma in Computer Science and Technology
- Diploma in Computer Science and Engineering
Bachelors Course in Computer Engineering
The duration of the course is 4 years. One gets a B.Tech degree in Computer engineering after completing the course. It is one of the many branches of study under the B.Tech program in the engineering colleges. You can apply after qualifying class 12th from a recognized board or university. There is a national level engineering entrance examination for admission to top engineering colleges in India. The programs under this category are:
- Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech) in Computer Engineering
- Bachelors of Technology in Computer science
Masters Course in Computer Engineering
The postgraduate course is for a duration of 2 years. Only those students who have a B.Tech degree in Computer science can apply for a specialized M.Tech degree. The admission is done on the basis of GATE scores of the candidates. The programs in the M.Tech course are:
- Master of Engineering (ME/M.Tech) in Computer Engineering
- Post Graduate Diploma in Computer Networking
- Master of Philosophy (M.Phill) in Computer Science and Engineering
Skills required for a career in Computer Engineering
- One must have good analytical skills.
- He should be able to diagnose the system and programming related issues.
- Critical thinking ability is appreciated by a computer engineer.
- Individuals must have good knowledge of the programming system and codes.
- He should bring creativity into his work.
- One should be good at problem-solving.
- A computer engineer is expected to have strong data structures and algorithm skills.
- He should possess basic knowledge of web development.
- He should aspire to learn new things quickly.
- One should be aware of the basics of security and cryptography.
- Last but not the least he must be very efficient and compatible with computers.
Admission Eligibility Criteria
The admission eligibility criteria for Computer engineering are the same as that of other Engineering courses. The colleges follow the criteria as a set and directed by UGC. The common eligibility criteria for admission to the Computer engineering course is as follows:
- The candidate must have a class 12th passing certificate in case of applying for a B.Tech degree. And class 10th passing certificate from a recognized board or university.
- The minimum marks should be 60% or above in class 10th and class 12th.
- It is mandatory to have a science background in class 10th. In class 12th one must have Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics as one of the main subjects of study.
- English is also a compulsory subject in class 10th and class 12th.
- For admission to Diploma courses, there is no provision of entrance exams.
- Admission to B.Tech program is done on the basis of college cut off, scores of the national entrance exam, and marks of class 12th.
- Postgraduate courses give admission to only those who hold a B.Tech degree in computer engineering or related field.
- GATE scores of the students are also considered for admission to the M.Tech program.
The admission process is identical to other programs for Software Engineering courses. Yet also, when submitting an online application form several students have questions and face difficulties. That is why we have explained the form submission process step by step. Also, read the points below to avoid missing any critical points which could lead to the unsuccessful submission of the online form.
• Explore and draw up a list of top engineering colleges in India.
• Colleges are releasing a prospectus course every year.
• You must read and check all the details of the course, such as fee, exam pattern, and syllabus.
• The date of release of the online admission form is also indicated in the prospectus or the notice column of the official website.
• Always submit a form online through the College or University official website.
• There are many famous national level exams for admission to Bachelor’s courses, such as JEE mains, JEE Advanced, BITSAT, and ComedK.
• You must go to the respective examination website and fill out the online form to fill in the forms of those national examinations.
• Some private colleges, such as VIT Vellore, Manipal University, SRM University and Kalinga Institute of Technology, conduct their entrance tests.
• Click the online admission form link below.
• Fill out all the details as per your certificates correctly.
• Scan documents and upload them if required.
• Upload a photo of your passport size.
• Upload your signature in a given column.
• You’ll also have to pay a small registration fee.
• Payment can be made online via Net Banking or through other online methods.
• Once the payment is successful, you will receive a confirmation regarding the successful submission of the form on your registered mobile phone and mail.
• For future reference, download, and print out the form and payment receipt.
• You will be notified of the examination and admit the date of the card via the College website.
• The list of cut-offs and merits will also be published within 1 to 2 months of the College website entry test.
• You are asked to keep in touch with the official website of the college for any further admission-related notifications.
Top Colleges for a career in Computer Engineering
The top colleges in India to pursue a course in Civil engineering are as follows:
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Bombay
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Kharagpur
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Delhi
- National Institute of Technology (NIT), Trichy
- National Institute of Technology (NIT), Surathkal
- SRM University
- Manipal Institute of Technology
- Vellore Institute of Technology
- Kalinga Institute of Technology
- National Institute of Technology Durgapur
- National Institute of Technology Jamshedpur
- Birla Institute of Technology Mesra
- Birla Institute of Technology Pilani
- Delhi Institute of Technology
The Computer Engineering course fee is roughly Rs. 5,00,000 to Rs. 10,00,000. The fee depends on which university you choose. Colleges of government charge less than the private colleges. Hostel, mess, semester exam, and practical laboratory fees are also included.
For full college fees please see the respective college prospectus.
Computer Engineering Syllabus
Every engineering college or university typically follows the same first-year syllabus. Any kinds of syllabus change occur from the course ‘s third year semester.
A list of computer engineering subjects/topics taught at UG level is provided below:
- Linear Algebra and Ordinary Differential Equations
- Chemistry I
- Modern Physics
- Introduction to computer programming
- Data Analysis and Interpretation
- Abstractions and Paradigms in Programming
- Chemistry Lab
- Physics Lab
- Workshop Practice
- Abstractions and Paradigms in Programming
- Engineering Graphics and Drawing
- Numerical Analysis
- Environmental Studies
- Introduction to Electrical and Electronic Circuits
- Automata Theory and Logic
- Discrete Structures
- Design and Analysis of Algorithms
- Data Structures and Algorithms
- Logic Design
- Experimentation and Measurement Lab
- Software Systems Lab
- Data Structures and Algorithms Lab
- Logic Design Lab
- Artificial Intelligence
- Computer Architecture
- Implementation of Programming Languages
- Operating Systems
- Computer Networks
- Database and Information Systems
- Artificial Intelligence Lab
- Database and Information Systems Lab
- Implementation of Programming Languages Lab
- Computer Architecture Lab
- Computer Networks Lab
- Operating Systems Lab
In the world of computer science and engineering, you can get enough work opportunities.
After having a B.Tech degree in Computer Science & Technology, you can work in the fields of database management, embedded systems, IT, telecommunication, multimedia, implementation of computer hardware & software, maintenance of computer hardware & software, gaming, web design, and other related industries.
You can also get a decent job in the government sector.
The responsibilities of a computer engineer are:
- Supervises the company’s database reliability, stability, and functionality.
- Build codes for different computers, software, and operating system applications.
- Lend technological assistance and support to clients or businesses.
- Model operating device architecture and user interface.
- Build apps, and build computer systems or related device applications.
- Coordinate studies, perform surveys, document and analyze data and gather information for the organization over the internet.
Computer engineers are hired as:
- Computer Programmer
- System Designer
- Software Developer
- Engineering Support Specialist
- Academic Research Editor
- E-Commerce Specialist
- Data Warehouse Analyst
- Software Engineer
Companies Hiring Computer Engineering Graduates
The top companies that hire computer engineers in India with good pay are:
- Sun Microsystems
- Tech Mahindra
- Mahindra Satyam
What are the Salary Packages given to Computer Engineers in India?
Computer engineers have an average starting salary of Rs. 6,00,000 per annum. The salary can go as high as Rs. 20,00,000 per annum. The salary largely depends on the college and your skills. Students from renowned colleges like IITs and NITs get handsome packages with top companies.
If you are one of those tech-savvy people then a career in Computer engineering will be perfect for you.
Apply today for a B.Tech degree in Computer Engineering.